Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Re: [topicmaps-comment] Re: on the Manhattan project for the Knowledge Sciences

Human Markup is focused on enablers or observables.  Not inferencing.
This is critical and key.   A real time system for analyzing the
observables in order to make recommendations to analysts and policy
makers is not beyond the scope of applications of HumanML.  It is
beyond the scope of the markup itself.

A stratified policy system is not unlike the kind of policy analysis
scenario simulations that have been used for some decades now and
have even been topics of televised programs on PBS (Arthur Miller
hosted these as I recall).   Factors of human indifference, different
focus, different agendas, were surfaced by the questions the host
mediator posed during the debate.  Note the criticality of a mediator
trained to change the problem under observation to enlighten the
participants to the fundamental differences in their viewpoints.
Note also that they did not make decisions; they evolved a
consensus on a recommendation that was then forwarded to a human
empowered politically to make a decision: the commander in chief.
This works in accordance with the highest principle of our
philosophy of republican government:  of the people, by the
people for the people.  Leaving people out of the intelligence
equation is to abandon all common sense and much of common decency.

To repeat a saying from olden AI days, the principle of rationality
is a weak predictor of human behavior.  Yet it is the over reliance
of depending on a common definition of "rational" that is weak.  To
the terrorist who developed in a refugee camp, a world view of
western domination and corruption, the act of flying an airliner
into a building is rational.  It represents an exchange of value
for effect; life for notification.   While of interest to delve
into the deeper meaning of that notification, this will not prevent
the act itself.  To do this, the individuals with that definition
of rationality, with the means to act, and the acts that prepare
for an act must be identified.   The concept that regardless of
the internal motivation, the pattern of behaviors that precede
an act of a declared type is the working definition of emergence
is the behaviorist view.   This view is sufficient to enable
public safety systems to work in concert to defend against such
acts.

There is no perfect security.  Just assessments of risks and
costs of managing these risks.

The costs of HumanMarkup beyond the tool costs are the direct
costs of using analysts from different fields to provide information
into a common framework of markup declarations such that *different
computational approaches (including biological models)* can be applied
to real time and near real time information.   The basic problem
that our technology must solve in the domains of defense are asset
management, asset dispatch, post-hoc analysis, and identification
of pre-call for service events that may in fact, predict emergence
of a call for service.

We don't yet need a Manhattan Project.   We must very quickly and
somewhat loosely couple existing systems to enable better use of
existing assets.   Then and only then should we be looking to
more exotic or emerging systems to strenghthen that capability.

The single best move will be to enable and train the neighborhood
watch systems.  Human intelligence is the only real intelligence
at our disposal.   Better enabling it must be the goal of any
program or project attempting to add to the list of solutions for
our current problems.

len