Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Thoughts on Cultural Blinders and 9/11

I am glad you were able to endure long enough to see these larger
issues. They didn't get there quickly enough for my own personal
human limits. I appreciate you taking the time to respond this
thoroughly. My own sense of despair and anger in the face of seeing
faith portrayed even briefly (and through my own lack of patience) as
one-dimensional is lessened. I'm less concerned with the terrorists
as much as I am with our own ability to understand their expressions,
their signs, and respond to them appropriately. I don't have much
clue what that response ought to be to successfully reach into their
cultural context and persuade them to a different course.

Thanks,
Rex

At 12:33 PM -0500 9/5/02, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>The first show you mentioned took up two themes of
>relevance.
>
>1.  The dark side of religion that emerges when
>love of God becomes willingness to do anything
>if it can be construed as God's will.  The speakers
>made it plain that until Islam can face the fact
>that fault for the 911 does rest with Islam, that
>claiming it to be merely an aberration is to duck
>the issue, the causes will not change and the
>incidents will continue.  They also noted that
>this is not a unique property of the Islamic
>religion, but of religious zealotry and that
>human history is litered with such (consider
>the Children's Crusade of the late Middle
>Ages).
>
>2.  The incident where two people who were about
>to be consumed by the flames of the towers held
>hands and jumped together.  Although their deaths
>were certain, why did they do that?
>
>Consider what different views of human love this
>suggests.  Love is the most powerful force in
>the universe but it too can be as good or bad
>as the expression it takes.  Our questions here
>are, what are the signs, what are their
>signifiers and signifieds, and what interpretations
>are most likely significant of the intent.
>
>The source of these is in religion and
>until we comprehend the human need and desire
>for the absolute, we won't understand the first events.
>Yet is that the cause of the second incident?  Or
>is this something even more fundamental, that one
>desires above all things not to be alone, so the
>gesture however fruitless to touch and be with
>another when facing the ultimate, is the source
>of the means by which we may pass through this
>dark time?
>
>If for no other reason, this exploration of
>what it means to a human to be human, to find
>values that are human, not supernatural, not
>imposed by absolutism, but by relationships
>to those around us, is the hope.  What was
>seen on the precipice of a living hell was
>that the need to not be alone is the more
>powerful force.  If we choose community,
>we do not choose death.  If death comes
>in the context of preserving community,
>we choose life.   It we take life for the
>cause of the absolute, we are dammed.
>
>Damnation is eternal loneliness.  Perhaps
>those who are choosing terror as the sign
>of their community must come to understand
>that.  We must find the sign that informs
>them that this expression will make them ever
>more lonely, and that another sign enables
>them to escape that fate.  By what sign can
>we invite them to be here with us not on
>the precipice to hell, but to life?
>
>Last weekend, I produced a free concert of
>music that brought out people of all ages.
>When singing, they are not afraid, and when
>not afraid, there is no terror.  I am a
>musician and that is a sign system over
>which I have competence.  What are your
>signs and to whom are they shown?  I do
>not ask anyone to confront the terrorists,
>but each other, and thereby, to reduce
> [...]

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309