Subject: RE: [huml-comment] Interoperable Language Standard (ILS)

I agree with that.  Out of line
or as once called, independent linking is an
old and much neglected idea.  I hope that
it is the path that Huml developers take
for annotation systems.

Code lists are very effective.  We use them
a lot in our systems for the customizable
selections, because a table of two level
codes is easy to implement, and easy for
the local user to extend.

len

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuil Batsis (Manos) [mailto:mbatsis@humanmarkup.org]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Note in the sample XML that they are going down
> the path of enumerations instead of types.  They
> are essentially building code lists, aka, controlled
> vocabularies for annotating a text.

True, but those are just mental notes, very similar to ours back in the
yahoogroups list (emotions etc).

I bet they will end up using metadata in RDF (section three) linked
using something like the Annotea technology (XPointer). I have this
belief mostly because XPointer allows annotation without actually
altering the target document, while it is not affected by the nesting
restrictions of XML (you can point to ranges etc). For inline
annotation, the only efficient mechanism would be something like LMNL,
but it wouldn't enjoy the support XML does and I still preffer
seperation of things(document VS annotations).

Promoting the enumeration list items to actual classes would increase
the expressive power of the annotations. But then again, certain
use-cases would benefit from the simplicity of simple enumerations as
the most efficient solution for their requierments.

Manos