Subject: Fwd: Emotions

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Amir,

While I haven;'t done serious research beyond the recognized facial
expressions for using emotions in behavioral representations, I was
aware that the cognitive/perceptual models in the field cover a wide
range of philosophical and scientific approachs to what is a
difficult topic to tease out of the realm of subjective feelings into
objective observations and inferences or hypotheses which can be
accurately tested.

I'm forwarding this to the TC list to keep it in the archive--a
process which, due to the fact that only TC members can actually
conduct discussions per se on the list, is becoming a nuisance for
the secretary, (me), when the current discussions of interest take
place in other venues due to this restriction.

So, beyond doing this from time to time to capture important relevant
information, I may post uploads of transcripts and digests of
discussions and threads conducted in more open for archiving
purposes. We may need to decide about whether or not to take this up
with the OASIS policy TAB if we can attract a couple of corporate
sponsor-members to adopt us. This could get downright tedious.

>From: "Amir Youssefi" <youssa@rpi.edu>
>To: "'Rex Brooks'" <rexb@starbourne.com>, <robnixon@execpc.com>
>Subject: Emotions
>Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 07:36:46 -0400
>
>Following our discussion, just to give an impression of how different
>people look at basic emotions have a look at this table of old theories
>(not to count new ones)
>
>_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
>
>Amir Youssefi                            http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~youssefi
>Graduate Student of Computer Science     +1-518-276-8988
>Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) Troy NY
>
>                   - LIVE A LIFE WORTH DYING FOR -
>
>_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Title: Theorists Table

Theorists Table

Basic Emotions

Basis for Inclusion

Arnold

Anger, aversion, courage, dejection, desire, despair, fear, hate, hope, love, sadness

Relation to action tendencies

Ekman, Friesen, and Ellsworth

Anger, disgust, fear, joy, sadness, surprise

Universal facial expressions

Frijda

Desire, happiness, interest, surprise, wonder, sorrow

Forms of action readiness

Gray

Rage and terror, anxiety, joy

Hardwired

Izard

Anger, contempt, disgust, distress, fear, guilt, interest, joy, shame, surprise

Hardwired

James

Fear, grief, love, rage

Bodily involvement

McDougall

Anger, disgust, elation, fear, subjection, tender-emotion, wonder

Relation to instincts

Mowrer

Pain, pleasure

Unlearned emotional states

Oatley and Johnson-Laird

Anger, disgust, anxiety, happiness, sadness

Do not require propositional content

Panksepp

Expectancy, fear, rage, panic

Hardwired

Plutchik

Acceptance, anger, anticipation, disgust, joy, fear, sadness, surprise

Relation to adaptive biological processes

Tomkins

Anger, interest, contempt, disgust, distress, fear, joy, shame, surprise

Density of neural firing

Watson

Fear, love, rage

Hardwired