Subject: FW: International Standard for Freedom of Information?

(I'm forwarding to the discussion list this thread...)

-----

Hi Owen,

These different concepts == vision, mission, goals.  I would think these
concepts fall as a manifestation the abstract type of "Intent" and "Belief"
within the Primary Base Schema.  And of course, the fundamental concepts of
"evidence" itself, to actually assert intention or belief, is critical.

I think that the State Dept. has established certain definitions for "axis
of evil" and "rogue nations", but these precise definitions of these terms
are not emphasized, and without explicit markup in a sense, has lead to back
and forth accusations.

I think the phrase that captures in a very direct and clear manner:
"tighter linkages between opinions and facts, through high quality records."

That in a nutshell captures the essence not only of freedom of information,
but of conflict resolution.  It is simply through the process of explicit
awareness, and nothing else, that can bring positive results.  Of course, I
have read your references--there are many ulterior motives for deliberately
to maintain lack of full transparency.

In a discussion yesterday, Rob Nixon and Russ Ruggiero expressed interest in
open information, from the perspective of guaranteeing transparency to the
efforts around the world, including our own, and a means of sharing
information.  Russ is working on an article at this point which partly
describes this potential need, especially in light of the recent war with
Iraq.  I'm CC:ing them on this email, as well as the huml discussion list.

As for standards for freedom of Information, I am curious if this is
something you see as evolving into a formal distinct effort, or as a
visionary outgrowth of the XML work for recordkeeping being done right now?

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga

This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador