icom message

Subject: FW: [icom] Draft Minutes of ICOM TC Meeting, July 22, 2009

Forwarding Deirdre’s comments.

From: Lee, Deirdre [mailto:Deirdre.Lee@deri.org]
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 11:11 AM
To: Eric Chan; icom@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Eric & all,

Regarding what we were discussing at the last TC meeting:

a.

The Semantic Web and Linked Data concept depends on the reuse of concepts and ontologies. If we were to define a new ontology for ICOM, we would lose the benefits of interoperability with existing data. I agree that SIOC and FOAF don’t cover all of the concepts that we need to define, and also that there are overlapping concepts/properties in the models. However, I believe it would be beneficial to facilitate data reuse and interoperability to classify ICOM concepts as sub-concepts of existing concepts whenever possible. SIOC was defined for a specific purpose (social online communities), as was FOAF, the Nepomuk ontologies, and BOM. For ICOM, we can include those concepts for each of the areas that we want to address, to create a more encompassing ontology for the collaboration domain. We already have a rich set of ontologies, whose elements can provide the building blocks for the ICOM ontology.

b.

This issue was discussed with the SIOC developers. dcterms:hasPart is not really used. sioc:has_container and sioc:has_parent are used to define two different relationships; that between a container and a container, and that between a container and an item. In online communities the sioc:has_container property between a container and an item is more commonly used (forums & posts). Therefore having a specific property for this relationship is valuable if, for example, an item is being queried. No additional reasoning is required to determine if an object is an item or a container. This level of detail may or may not be required in the ICOM ontology. I agree that it would probably make sense in ICOM to have a general ‘icom:item/artifact’ concept, that is a super concept of a container and an item.

c.

Regarding multi-containment, by default there are no restrictions in RDF regarding the number of property values for any property. This is due to the ‘open-world’ approach of ontology modeling. Therefore a specific container may have many values for the icom:has_parent property, i.e. may have many parents.

I hope provides a little food for thought before the next meeting J Have a nice weekend.

Deirdre