icom message

Subject: FW: RDF mapping of the OO model

Forwarding Deirdre’s email.

Regards,

Eric

From: Lee, Deirdre [mailto:Deirdre.Lee@deri.org]
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 2:50 AM
To: Eric Chan; icom@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Dragan, Laura
Subject: RDF mapping of the OO model

Hi,

Please find attached an RDF diagram and description of the OO model, which Eric distributed before the last meeting. Laura and I created the RDF model, based on RDF modeling best practices.

·         All the OO classes were mapped to RDF concepts

·         The OO property getParents was mapped to multiple RDF properties (hasParent, hasParentOfRole, hasParentOfGroup, hasParentOfActor, hasParentOfWorkspace), as each of the RDF properties have different domain and ranges and cannot be defined using a single property.

·         NRL (http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/nrl/) is used to describe some of the restrictions in the model, e.g nrl:FunctionalProperty is used to model that a concept may only have one instance of a particular property. The nrl:FunctionalProperty is used to restrict an Entity may only have been createdBy one Actor.

·         NRL addresses several limitations of current Semantic Web languages, especially with respect to modularization and customization. Therefore we propose that NRL is used as opposed to OWL (which addresses similar needs) because:

o   OWL does not support named graphs (there is an extension to it though)

o   Inferencing in OWL is complex and may be unnecessary for our needs, as was the case in Nepomuk

o   OWL has an open world assumption, whereas with the use of NRL we can adopt a closed world assumption

·         The OO properties that return a set are mapped to RDF properties without restrictions, e.g. elements:Set<Artifact> is mapped to hasArtifactElement . However these RDF properties could be restricted to a certain number using the nrl:cardinality constraints.

·         The interfaces that are defined in the OO model are not able to be expressed using RDF, as you cannot define a concept in RDF that cannot be instantiated.

On a more general note, regarding the choosing of the core concepts, please see the Generic Collaboration Model attached. This model was used as the core collaboration model in the Ecospace project and we believe is very relevant to the ICOM model. The concepts included in this model are as follows:

·        User: who collaborates

·        Content: what collaboration is about

·        Process: how and when collaboration takes place

·        Collaborative Space: where the aggregation of Content and Process is unfold, virtual or real space

·        Context: all the external factors that affect collaboration e.g. cultural, background, history, know-how, etc.

·        Personal Collaborative Space: the intersection of a User’s work sphere with a collaborative space

Looking forward to receiving your feedback in the meeting.

Deirdre & Laura