icom message

Subject: RE: [icom] More ICOM editing notes

Hello all,

I have revised the paragraphs (between line numbers 3177 and 3216) providing an overview of the extension modules. Please review the texts under "new format," which follows the comments from the TC meeting today.

I have included the previous texts under "old format" for comparison.

--------------------------
New format:

A salient feature of ICOM is the containers that provide contexts and structures for specific areas of collaboration activities. These activity containers are specialized subclasses of folders. The UML class diagram in Figure 24 depicts the containers of the collaboration activities defined in the extension modules. The diagram shows Space as a hub of containers of different collaboration activities. The diagram shows several types of containers, including HeterogeneousFolder, AddressBook, Calendar, TaskList, Forum, and Conference, each of which contains a specific area of collaboration activities.

HeterogeneousFolder (defined in Core Module) is a general purpose container that can contain any type of artifacts, and therefore, can serve as a library of documents and wiki pages to support content sharing and co-creation activities, as an inbox or outbox for communication activities, or as a trash folder to archive all types of artifacts deleted from a space. AddressBook is a specialized container to manage contact or personal information, such as addresses, phone numbers, birth days, anniversaries, and other entries. Calendar is a specialized container to support time management activities. TaskList is a specialized container to support task coordination activities. Forum is a specialized container to support threaded discussions using Topic sub-containers and time-sensitive communication using Announcement sub-containers. Conference is a specialized container that provides a durable context for real-time interactions.

. Content Module (in section 4.2) defines Content, MultiContent, and SimpleContent. A content represents a piece of data in a document or message. Content, multi-content, simple content, and online content form a composite design pattern.
. Document Module (in Section 4.3) defines Document, WikiPage, and version control model. A document can contain a composite content defined in section 4.2. Documents are typically contained by heterogeneous folders.
. Message Module (in Section 4.4) defines Message, UnifiedMessage, InstantMessage, and related classes. A message can contain a composite content defined in section 4.2. Unified messages are typically contained by heterogeneous folders.
. Presence Module (in Section 4.5) defines Presence, Activity, and Contact Method. Presence represents a watchable state of a presentity (which is usually a person). Presence state is derived using an actor's subscriptions. Note: Since a Presence is derived using a viewer's subscriptions, a Presence should not be shared with other viewers. For this reason, Presence is not modeled as Entity and is not assigned an access control list.
. Address Book Module (in Section 4.6) defines AddressBook and PersonContact. A person contact can bookmark a references to a person in an ICOM community as well as store addresses, phone numbers, and other entries about a person who may or may not be in an ICOM community.
. Calendar Module (in Section 4.7) defines Calendar, Occurrence, and OccurrenceSeries. Occurrence artifacts are used to resolve the free-busy times of participants for scheduling of meetings and booking of rooms and other resources.
. Free Busy Module (in Section 4.8) defines FreeBusy. FreeBusy is a view derived from occurrences in a calendar or a set of calendars using an actor's privileges to determine the free or busy states of calendar occurrences. Note: Since a FreeBusy view is derived using a viewer's privileges, a FreeBusy should not be shared with other viewers. For this reason, FreeBusy is not modeled as Entity and is not assigned an access control list.
. Task List Module (in Section 4.9) defines TaskList, Task, and Assignment. Tasks and assignments are used to coordinate the assignment of tasks and to track the progress of task activities.
. Forum Module (in Section 4.10) defines Forum, Topic, Announcement, and DiscussionMessage. Topics, announcements, and discussions are used for treaded discussions. Moderators of a forum can prune, merge, or fork the discussion threads.
. Conference Module (in Section 4.11) defines Conference and related classes. A conference can contain visual, audio, and chat transcripts of the conference sessions. It also contains the current status, conference settings, past sessions, active session, and activity logs.

------------------------
Old format:

Each area of collaboration activities is contained by one or more specialized subclasses of folders. The UML class diagram in Figure 24 depicts the containers of the collaboration activities defined in the extension modules. The diagram shows Space as a container of SpaceItem, which includes different types of folder. A space serves as a hub of containers of different collaboration activities.

Note: HeterogeneousFolder is a general purpose folder that can serve as inbox, outbox, document or wiki page library, trash folder, etc. Document and UnifiedMessage are artifacts typically contained by the heterogeneous folders. Document and Message use the same composite content model.
. Content, MultiContent, and SimpleContent are defined in Section 4.2 Content Module.
. Document, WikiPage, and version control model are defined in Section 4.3 Document Module.
. Message, UnifiedMessage, InstantMessage, and related classes are defined in Section 4.4 Message Module.

Note: Presence represents a watchable state of a Person. Presence is not Entity, hence a Presence instance cannot be assigned an access control list.
. Presence, Activity, and Contact Method are defined in Section 4.5 Presence Module.

Note: AddressBook is a folder which contains a special type of artifact called PersonContact. PersonContact can contain references to a person in a community. It can also contain addresses, phone numbers, and other entries about an external person.
. AddressBook and PersonContact are defined in Section 4.6 Address Book Module.

Note: Calendar is a folder that contains time management artifacts such as Occurrence and OccurrenceSeries. These artifacts are used to resolve the free-busy times of participants for scheduling of meetings and booking of rooms and other resources.
. Calendar, Occurrence, and OccurrenceSeries are defined in Section 4.7 Calendar Module.

Note: FreeBusy is a state derived from occurrences in a calendar or a set of calendars. Since FreeBusy is not Entity, a FreeBusy instance cannot be assigned an access control list.
. Free Busy is defined in Section 4.8 Free Busy Module.

Note: TaskList is a folder that contains task management artifacts such as Task and Assignment. These artifacts are used to coordinate the assignment of tasks and to track the progress of task activities.
. TaskList, Task, and Assignment are defined in Section 4.9 TaskList Module.

Note: Forum is a folder that contains Topic, Announcement, and DiscussionMessage. These artifacts are used for treaded discussions. Moderators of the forum can prune, merge, or fork the discussion threads.
. Forum, Topic, Announcement, and DiscussionMessage are defined in Section 4.10 Forum Module.

Note: Conference is a folder that provides a durable context for real-time interactions. It can contain visual, audio, and chat transcripts of the conference sessions. It also contains the current status, conference settings, past sessions, active session, and activity logs.
. Conference and related classes are defined in Section 4.11 Conference Module.

Thanks,
Eric