ihc message

Subject: Re: [ihc] An Article on Legal Constraints in US, A Question aboutIssues

Rex:

Thanks for the valuable input, but I'll ask that discussion on the list
not start until the TC is actually formed at the first meeting,
scheduled for 2 September. That would be the time to discuss forming a SC.

-Karl

Rex Brooks wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Since I keep an eye on Healthcare issues, I noticed this article today.
> One of my own conclusions as I have researched this domain off and on
> over the last 3 years has been the lack of global standards for IT other
> than the broadest ones covered in ISO 11179, and some topic-specific
> issues. I would be interested to hear whether there are significant and
> similar barriers in Europe and Asia, as if localization wasn't difficult
> enough on its own, especially with different character sets. However, as
> with many IT issues, the legal aspects, and the IPR aspects also need to
> be addressed. So, here's the article:
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=29100518
>
> And, here's the question:
>
> Should we consider establishing subcommittees early in the TC process?
>
> The question relates to the specificity of gathering requirements for
> legal issues specifically. As a member of the Web Services for Remote
> Portlets TC, I can vouch for the fact that there just isn't enough warm
> bodies working on behalf of corporate members to take on any significant
> work outside the specific purview of our scope, and our experience with
> relying on other TCs to produce their specs in a timely way to aid in
> our ongoing work has been somewhat disappointing, though neither
> unexpected, nor particularly troubling yet. For instance,  we have had
> to wait for a year for WSS to reach its milestone for producing its
> first suite of specifications, we now face the task of imlementing those
> standards and gathering feedback from those implementations. This then
> must be factored into WSRP 2.0 if we can, though, in fact, we may not
> have enough feedback during the timeframe we have established for
> developing WSRP v2.0. I don't know, obviously, so I can't point out
> whether, in fact, this is a large-enough concern to warrant being
> included in the ihc work. However, uptake of standards, wherever they
> are produced is something that needs to be addressed, so I think that an
> IHC Legal SC would be a good idea.
>
> If we are to liaise with other TCs to produce specifications needed in
> this domain, we need to be as specific as we can be to avoid tasking
> others to survey a field for specific issues before beginning the work
> of writing standards to bridge those issues.
>
> BTW, Legal is just one particular domain. For an exercise in how complex
> these issues will be, consider how many different specs there are for
> defining what a "person" or "address" is.
>
> Just thought I would pass this little reminder along.
>
> Regards,
> Rex Brooks
>
> P.S. I am using the long form of my signature here this once so those of
> you joining in this initial period can get an idea of what my interests
> are. I will add my membership in this TC once I am sure that I fit into
> the work here.
>
> --

> [...]

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org