ihc message

Subject: Re: [egov] Central Address Database

Thomas,

These are huge set of questions!  My sense here is that you have to
crawl first, then walk and run!

Using jCAM templates to augment schemas so that you can overlay all the
special rules needed
by delivery context is crucial - and leveraging the work that Ram has
doen already in CIQ TC
on that.

This task is certainly not trivial - a quick look at the UPU rules for
somewhere like Venezula or
Morocco shows the challenges of machine processing in areas where
familiar human habits and
distinctions in addressing formats are the norm.

Linking to a digital map is obviously a cool feature - that is
potentially enabled by using SVG, GPS
and XML address data in combination... but someone has to specify and
prove those mechanisms
so that commercial implementors can use the standard (there's products
already of course in this
area - I visited one vendor two weeks ago ehre in Wash DC area).

As to business model - frankly I see this works best when it is a
citizen / government partnership.
The OASIS BCM / EPR work and the EPRforum.org work is emphasizing the
use of XDS and
BizID concepts to allow citizens to manage their own information in
collaboration with e-Service
and e-Government providers.  This works will the current ISP world - but
the core address management
software is open source and based around the EPR design rules.  Several
governments in Europe are
looking at how they can use their existing registry services and extend
them - as obviously this
becomes not just about addresses - but also about healthcare cards,
national insurance, and much more.

The BizID model is based on the fact that private companies will switch
to using an accredited
address service since it is cheaper for them than manually maintaining
internal ones - and also citizens can
instantly provide updated addressing to their profiles via their BizIDs
when they change jobs, house,
medical insurance, etc.  Therefore ISP-style providers can charge for
these feeds to off-set the
free services to citizens. The ability to use ebXML Registry V3 features
and federate content and
searches is vital, not to mention the security models and ability to
maintain access logs for citizens.

Anyway - you can find out more on EPR work and XDS from the website:
http://www.eprforum.org

We just presented in Brussels on these concepts - and we have a PPT the
TC/SC has that gives
more low-level details on the mechanisms that was posted a couple of
weeks back.

Where this is today - is getting the XDS work and EPR BizID / jCAM
models aligned for the phase 2
in 2005.  We definately be happy to discuss possiblities of creating
some joint initiaitve - possibly
thru the e-Gov TC, and including BCM/EPR and IHC / IHE teams.   This
would use open source as the
means to develop the components to underpin the functionality needed.

Caution though - while conceptually this roadmap is compelling IMHO -
there is a chunk of hard work
that needs to be funded and planned for to extend and purpose the
existing software.  This is within
reach.

Creating this infrastructure foundation would then allow us to begin
thinking about all the
great use cases you then mention!! ; -)

Thanks, DW