ihc message

Subject: RE: [ihc] UML Tools

I misspoke myself, Sylvia,

Thanks for replying so quickly since it gives me a chance to clear
this up by copying the ihc list.

I did indeed mean what you said--that it does not support use case,
sequence or activity diagrams, which is the way I think of UML
modeling. Basically, the way I work is to model the process,
especially if there are existing standards which I want to
incorporate that do not have supporting models and where I can't
reverse engineer an application based on the standard to extract a
model from which to determine if it is complete enough in itself for
a given set of requirements.

When I model the process, if there is no standard for a particular
area, I generally look at existing applications if I can or I develop
a strawman vocabulary from a problem statement or a business scenario
that describes the processes which need a standard or for which an
interest group has decided to create a standard.

The models which standards bodies need to create most are use-cases.
Use cases are usually developed from a business or process scenario
and/or a problem statement that identifies elements of a vocabulary,
such as actors and categories of functionalities such as message
types between actors which is used to make up the use case.

It is then from use-cases that requirements for a standard are drawn,
and a group starts working on definitions for vocabulary terms,
message types, actions or processes, etc.

In the IHC TC we are still at the survey stage, getting a landscape
view of the problem space we are in the process of scoping. We are
identifying areas of functionality and stakeholders from those areas.
 From there we will probably divide up the work according to
categories that we think belong together or share a particular kind
of functionality such as medical records, physician credentials and
insurance-financial-legal concerns. From there a more intensive
survey should yield scenarios from which use-cases can be drawn
requirements established.

One thing I forgot to mention about both Visual Paradigm and GEFEG is
that there is somewhat more allowance for the need to create
documentation than I have seen in such tools previously, and this
addresses one of our major concerns to an extent.

What EDIFIX offers that is most valuable in my estimation is the
ability to generate an xml schema from the models we prepare and then
to generate testable classes.  To be honest, I have not yet had an
opportunity to approach a standards assessment this way before, so i
will discover if this process is the logical extension of the
processes I have worked with previously. For the vendors in the TC I
think it will prove extremely valuable in saving their production
teams a great deal of time developing components from which to build,
replace or enhance applications.

Ciao,
Rex