imi message

Subject: RE: [imi] Philosophical questions

John Bradley wrote on 2009-04-02:
> If a certificate doesn't chain to a valid root the Public Key is used to
> generate the Client Pseudonym rather than the values from the DN.

Yes, I can see that they've already been coupled, which I think was a
mistake. I would have based on it the hostname and that's it, and left the
rest to the management of token submission.

> I have been asked by someone if case 3 should be used for expired and
> revoked certificates.
> I think the answer is no they still chain to a trusted root even though
they
> may not be trusted themselves.

I think you're damned if you do, or if you don't, but if there's another
"gatekeeper" to count on, I guess erring on the side of generating a
consistent value is better.

> If the user overrides a selector warning and indicates a policy override
of
> some sort for the site than the PPID should remain the same and the card
> should continue to work at the site.

That's the best outcome possible, I think.

-- Scott