Subject: RE: [kmip] Groups - Application Specific IDs (Application Specific IDs.pdf) modified

It seems that the original intent of the Application Specific
Identification attribute was to provide a way to describe how a managed
cryptographic object is used, or to what it is associated (i.e.,
identify the application, not the object).  I think this is still useful
to have, in that objects can then be located that are associated with a
particular application or usage.

The current discussion seems to be oriented around using this attribute
as a means to assign an identifier to the object itself (e.g., in the
case of Scott's proposal, a Key ID, which I think is similar to what
Stan is describing as a key name).  This then makes me wonder what the
Name attribute should be used for, and whether it would make sense to
add one or more additional Name Type enumerations of various "key ID" or
"key name" variants to address that specific need, and let the
Application Specific attribute continue to provide a way to associate
the object with applications.

So for example, I might have a key that has a Name attribute and a Key
ID name type.  I use this key to encrypt files, so have Application
Specific Id. attribute instances to describe the name space(s) of the
files for which I use the key.

But I may use more than one key to encrypt files in those name spaces,
so if I have another key (having its own Name attribute and different
Key ID name type), then I could set the same Application Specific Id.
attribute instances with it.  Now I can locate all objects (i.e., keys)
associated with that particular application usage.

So I see Name as referencing the object (i.e., pointing to it) and the
Application Specific stuff pointing away from the object (i.e., where
does it go).  The need for "key id" seems to fit the Name attribute, but
perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks,
Rod Wideman
Quantum Corporation
(please disregard the confidentiality statement below)