Subject: Re: Groups - oasis - Ballot "Straw poll on whether to allow "mutating attributes" in KMIP V1.0." has closed

Hi,

The poll results indicate that the preference goes for the combination of 2) and 3) (although only 25% of the eligible voters cast their votes, maybe because we did not have our weekly call and many of us were on holidays):
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/kmip/ballot.php?id=1731

I am trying to identify now what changes we have to make to the specification for the two options:

2) "Modify KMIP specification to make explicit the list of attributes that a server is allowed to mutate"
I assume what is meant is the list of attribute values passed by the client as parameters to an operation request for which the client does not want their value to be changed by the server (the server can always fail the operation if necessary, but should it indicate which attribute value(s) caused the failure?). These attribute values are provided through a Template-Attribute object that contains template names as well as individual attribute values. Note that there are precedence rules for single-valued attributes if provided multiple times, whereas for multi-valued attributes a union is made with all values provided.

3) "Modify KMIP specification to allow the client to inform the server whether or not it will accept mutated attributes"
I assume what is meant is to have the client indicate in each operation request whether none or all of the attribute values it passes can be mutated.

While 3) is relatively straightforward (and IMHO would be sufficient to accommodate most client needs, at least for a first version), there are many ways to do 2). So it would be good to see now concrete ideas how to implement both 2) and 3).

Regards,
-Robert

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/kmip/ballot_archive.php