Subject: RE: [kmip] Groups - Client Registration Proposal - Examples (2) (Client_Registration_Examples-E.ppt) uploaded

thanks for the updates, some comments:

page 2

i am glad to help with the proxy and 1 to N mapping of credential and entities and the case of using a transport certificate with a group of devices needs to be accommodated

page 3

credentials are currently extensible and need to accommodate more than just using the transport certificate and username/password - as i have suggested previously we should be explicitly documenting a device credential

page 4

if we add the following i think we cover the proxy with 1 to N

implicit self-registration with credential
could be username/password
could be device identifier
could be another credential type

the new pending registration could be an attempt to implicitly register, but by server policy is initially rejected until the pending registration is resolved by the KMS administrator

after page 7 i would suggest we insert the implicit registration using a credential

also the use case of supporting KMIP clients that can not retain the Obj UUID but instead can only identify themselves with a certificate and/or credentials needs to be supported

page 8

i think the pending registration can be handled with existing mechanisms, or by standardizing a return code on other operations - of pending registration

page 14

this looks useful, but also as i suggest above can be solved by documenting the additional credential types and supporting authentication using any of the credential types

STSM, Technical Strategy Security and Storage Software
102 Thorncliff Circle
Cary, NC 27513
(1) 919 469 5725 - office
(1) 919 605 0331 - mobile