Subject: KMIP TC re-chartering

Hi –

As I mentioned in our TC call last week, once the KMIP V1.1 vote has ended (we just need 5 more votes on the Profile) I’d like to consider re-chartering KMIP to remove all or some of the out-of-scope items in our current charter. My thought is to discuss this over the next several weeks and if everyone is in agreement, initiate a ballot at the face-to-face.

Our current charter is at https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/kmip/charter.php. See below for the current out-of-scope section.

I’ve attached the minutes from our meeting in September when Chet described the re-chartering process. Here is the discussion of contributions, from the minutes of the

What about the contributions? Chet: the only area where a contribution could be a concern would be if a member said they were not going to participate under the new charter. For already approved docs, OASIS will simply send a note to the TC mailing list that OASIS recontributes the work product to the TC. Simplest way to handle any contributions of other things is to point to it in an email and say that it is being contributed again. Only place an issue would come up if something was contributed under original charter, but was not used; if not continuing under the new charter, that earlier contribution could not be used. To be on the safe side, best not to use an earlier contribution if it is not incorporated into approved documents or explicitly recontributed.

Out of scope areas include:

  • Implementation specific internals of prototypes and products
  • Multi-vendor Key Management facility mirrors or clusters
  • Definition of an architectural design for a central enterprise key management or certificate management system other than any necessary models, interfaces and protocols strictly required to support interoperability between Actors in the multi-vendor certificate and key management framework.
  • Framework interfaces not dedicated to secure key and certificate management
  • Certain areas of functionality related to key management are also outside the scope of this technical committee, in particular registration of clients, server-to-server communication and key migration.
  • Bindings other than tag-length-value wire protocol and XSD-based encodings.