legalcitem message

Subject: 2 comments on FundamentalRequirements3rd

Hello

2 small remarks about https://wiki.oasis-open.org/legalcitem/FundamentalRequirements3rd :
  1. "For instance, if the document was expressed in HTML and the action associated to the citation was to execute a hypertext jump to the destination, then an <a href=""> element would be added, and in the href attribute we would need to place a reference." --> if I understood the definitions correctly, wouldn't it be a _locator_ here, rather than a _reference_ ?
  2. On the definition of "reference" :
    1. I tend to disagree with the statement "A reference contains at least the same quantity of information as the textual citation for the purpose of identifying the relevant text, and possibly more". In the use-case of automated text-mining legal citation parsing, the machine-readable representation of the citation might contains less information that the textual citation (because not every information was catched by the parser); in that case some information is lost when going from the textual citation to its machine-readable version;
    2. I also don't think a human action must take place to interpret the citation - here again I have a text-mining use-case in mind.
Cheers
Thomas

--

Thomas Francart - SPARNA
Web de données | Architecture de l'information | Accès aux connaissances