legalxml-courtfiling-cms-api message

Subject: [legalxml-courtfiling-cms-api] Sdurham Response to Mo's Comments

>> getCaseHistory: as in other queries, add "the court may choose to return a hyperlink to the case docket. <<

Yes, this is something we agreed to change at the Boston meeting.  Done and done.

>> getAssociatedCases: I suggest changing the name of this query to "getActorAssociatedCases" or "getActorActiveCases" because that is what the query seems to what to know. The term "Associated Cases" often refers to cases related to or consolidated with another case (this is how the term is used in Arizona).  Changing the name of the query will make it clearer. <<

I concur with the comment and I support the suggestion. How about just simply 'GetCaseList'...  which leaves us room to later add other means (overload) to find a caseList other than by 'actor'.

>> getCaseCalendar: I suggest adding "DocumentDue" to the "Response" for this query or something similar.  The reason is that often what litigants want to know is not only when a hearing or oral argument is scheduled but when a document is due to be filed (Opening Brief for example.)  <<

A) I am unsure of how many CMS actually keep track of these legal deadlines.  So.. my first reaction is that it is not of significant practical use (I know... often 'practical' hasn't been a theme of our work.  But.. it's never too late to start..)

B) The changes that we agreed to make in Boston, include defining the response to 'CaseCalendar' as the CourtFIling 'courtEvent' data structure.  It hasn't been well tested yet... and so it still has some limitations in its definition.  ONe of which is that I don't think it would well capture the 'legal deadline' you are referring to.

C) MOST IMPORTANTLY: All that said, the 'courtEvent' *could* be used to express a legal deadline (as I like to say, it could be more elegant, but, nevertheless, it would work.)  If you think of a 'deadline' as a special eventType without location.  And so, the proposed query and response for CaseCalendar *could* work for those courts that wish to express deadlines.

So.. I propose making no special query/response accomodations for document deadlines. If others do not concur with me, then we'll see what we can do about it. Fair enough?

- Shane