Subject: Re: [legalxml-courtfiling] Salt Lake minutes

Title: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Salt Lake minutes
for what its worth

Having participated in the GCAC interoperability  test at the very end (as both an EFM and EFSP), there were a few things that we struggled with.  Because there was more than one place to introduce actors, there was uncertainty among the vendors about where to put the information.  Also from our memory there seemed to be some elements that did not directly map to fields we needed to loaded and updated the SUSTAIN CMS so we made some interpretations specific to a court.

One of our specific disappointments about the DTD is that you don't know what type of filing you are receiving until you get to the lead document.

In speaking with Todd at the CA AOC CEFTS meeting held in June 2002, my interpretation of a discussion that I had with him was that there are some areas of the DTD that can work for all courts, and there are areas where courts need specific information.  To encompass every need for all courts may not be feasible within a DTD, where as schema offers more options.  Perhaps that may give more insight to what a DTD Lite might mean.

Also, in the interoperability test, since we were supporting Digital Signatures and no one else could support it, we had to ignore that portion of the DTD and not include those components in our transmissions.  We did not specifically look at all the elements that were or were not used.  That may be another motive for a DTD Lite?

Dallas
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 9:22 AM

I'd like to chime in with my concerns about the idea of a "DTD Lite."

The Court Document drafting committee has raised the question of "ease of use of" and "ease of learning" a specification as reasons for such a construct (I don't have a specific location I'm pointing to in the draft CD 1.1, but recall it's being asserted there). I admit to having not grasped the rationale for this.

I would not expect a non-technical, business expert to learn about the functionality, scope, and details of a specification by reading a DTD or Schema itself. Those of us advocating for standards, application developers, EFSPs, and others will need to provide written explanations, presentations, diagrams, and so forth, to promote such learning.

If the "Lite" version is necessary to "dumb down" the specification for use by certain application developers, I think there might be a problem with the developers. I do not understand what economy there would be in stripping some amount of ASCII text from a specification in order to "simplify" it, when that economy is contrasted with the potential costs from reconciling the kinds of errors Don has suggested might occur. Perhaps someone can explain this and convince me otherwise?

I feel it is a substantial and critical task of the Technical Committee to maintain its DTDs and Schemas entire and intact, to ensure they are accessible, reliable, valid, etc. If a particular application developer, court, etc., wants to build for local use a "Lite" version of the specification, they should be free to do so, but at their own risk. I do not think the Technical Committee should have "Heavy" and "Lite" versions of its products, particularly when those wanting the "Lite" version need only omit the elements they don't find relevant to their own uses. It should be up to them to keep their mini-specs valid against the official full-sized specs, which the Technical Committee would be responsible for.

I admit to ignorance regarding technical factors that might have motivated Todd or others to desire "Lite DTDs." I am willing to learn more about that, but need convincing on why it would be the responsibility of the Technical Committee to provide and maintain those variations. If you can't convince me on technical grounds due to my lack of such expertise, you could try persuading me by precedent - how, why, and with what effects (positive and negative) have other comparable specifications been developed and maintained in "full" and "lite" versions?

Regards,

Roger

Roger Winters

Electronic Court Records Manager