Subject: [legalxml-courtfiling] Re: [legalxml-sc] [Fwd: [legalxml-comment][Announcement] MetaLex: an Open XML Standard forLegal Sources]

John -

I saw this this morning and looked it over briefly. I'll spend more time
with it.

Here are some initial impressions. It appears to involve legislative
documents rather than the kinds of court documents we have been focusing on.

It uses XML schema rather than a DTD and contemplates the use of RDF.

Some of the overall approaches appear broadly similar to what we have been
proposing in connection with Court Document 1.1. It contemplates easily
incorporating other XML vocabularies. It breaks the body of a document into
structural parts (named article, part, sentence, etc.) in a way that
resembles the use of similar structural elements in CD 1.1 (paragraphGroup,
paragraph, phrase, etc.).

The MetaLex effort is worth a good look and may be particularly helpful in
connection with future versions of an XML Court Document spec.

 I have signed up for the MetaLex discussion list.

I'll provide more details after I have a chance to make a more thorough
review.

Rolly Chambers