Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Contribution from OXCI project

At Tom's suggestion, I'll speak up about how the "Standards for Electronic Filing Processes" treats service of filings. In the section on "Court Rules," "Standard 1.2A Service of Filings on Opposing Parties" (pages 34-35 of the February 26, 2003 version) identifies electronic service as an "important incentive for lawyers' use of electronic filing." Further, it says "the efficiency of the legal process will be enhanced by having service performed by the electronic filing process."

The corresponding "Functional Standard 3.14: Service and Notice," (page 91) in Subfunction 3.14.1 notes that providing this service is optional, not mandatory: "It is optional for each electronic filing system to provide for electronic notice and service. When a court opts for this functionality, the system must provide a proof of service record and a record of who is served electronically and who must still be served traditionally."

The document from which this information is taken can be found at http://www.ncsconline.org/D_Tech/Standards/Standards.htm#ElectronicFilingProcesses.

Though not directly involved with the group who have been developing OXCI, I will say I didn't expect OXCI to embody many, if any, of the optional functions and processes, including the electronic service function. This is not to say it isn't as important as Rolly indicates. In fact, his calling it out helps me understand even more clearly how service and related functions (e.g., document exchanges not directly related to a filing) are probably going to be needed if we are to get substantial law firm participation in our e-filing systems.

Regards,

Roger

Roger Winters

Electronic Court Records Manager