Subject: Selection of TC representative to Legal XML Member Section Steering Committee

During our Atlanta face to face meeting, we will choose our representative to the Legal XML Member Section Steering Committee.

A bit of background is in order.  The Legal XML member section currently has eight TCs.  They are:

Electronic Court Filing

eContracts

Integrated Justice

Lawful Intercept

Legislative

eNotary

Online Dispute Resolution

Transcripts

To my knowledge, the only TC that has yet produced a specification is Electronic Court Filing.  We have produced four – Court Filing 1.0 and 1.1, Court Document 1.1, and Query and Response.  All of our specifications to date have been DTDs.

The Member Section Steering Committee is responsible for establishing policies that would apply across all of the Legal XML TCs, including horizontal elements if any.  It is responsible for planning to enhance the effectiveness of existing TCs, identify the need for additional TCs, increase Member Section membership, and increase the visibility of our specifications.  It represents the TCs with OASIS.  It is responsible for allocating and administering our revenues.  We currently have roughly $15,000 in reserves and are realizing more than $2000 per month in new revenue.  The Steering Committee’s only expenditures to date have been to support conference calling capability available to all TCs.

The current Steering Committee consists of the members of the Board of Directors of Legal XML, Inc. who remain active in the organization.  The Committee has devised, and OASIS has approved, a more representative process for choosing the Steering Committee.  Each TC will choose a representative.  Those members will be able to create up to three additional at large Steering Committee positions, based upon their assessment of the representativeness of the TC choices and the needs of the Member Section.  The at-large positions will be filled by vote of the entire Member Section membership.

I propose that the Electronic Court Filing TC proceed as follows:

We will receive nominations for our representative beginning today, and ending during the first conference call on Thursday, April 14th.  We will then vote on the nominations during the second conference call, Friday, April 15th.  Persons not able to participate in that conference call may vote on the list, provided they register their vote before the beginning of the second conference call – which is scheduled for noon Eastern time on Friday, April 15th

TC members may nominate themselves.

Nominations should include the nominee’s qualifications to serve as our Steering Committee member.

Although I will do so if it is the will of the TC membership that I continue, I would prefer not to serve on the new Member Section Steering Committee.  I have spent over two years in the assignment; they have been two difficult years; I feel that I have made my contribution and that it is time to involve new blood and new perspectives in the leadership of the Member Section.

Please let me know if anyone objects to this proposed procedure or has any suggested improvements to it.

HCR 78, Box 23

Regina, New Mexico 87046

505-289-2164

505-780-1450 (cell)