Subject: Re: [legalxml-courtfiling] Case Initiation Elements

One of the assignments that Jim Cabral, Jim Harris, and myself were given at the New Orleans meeting was to further flush out how to deal with multiple documents and attachments within a single Filing Review Message.  This assignment relates to multiple message topics that are currently being exchanged.  This challenge also relates back to the Salt Lake discussion of the difference between a status of the Filing Review Message and the  of each document and associated attachments within the message.

Here are some of the conditions that must be cover in the requirements and message structure:

For purposes of clarification to the following conditions here are some definitions to consider:

Document - A binary object that may be in various formats that is embedded in a Filing Review Message, is docketed in the Case History, and is stored as part of the Electronic Court Record.  (Previously known as a Lead Document which I still prefer.)

Attachment -A binary object that may be in various formats that is embedded in a Filing Review Message, is not docketed in the Case History but is stored as part of the Electronic Court Record.

All attachments must be associated with a "Document" embedded in the Filing Review Message.

1) Any Filing Review Message whether it is for case initiation or for existing case update must be able to include multiple "Documents".
2) Each "Document" within the Filing Review Message must be able to have court specific XML data associated with it.
3) Each "Attachment" must be able to have court specific XML data associated with it. (The challenge with this area is that some courts do not define all documents as docketed items, yet these documents carry case data that may be used to automate processes.)
4) Each "Attachment" may (must not sure of ) be assoicated to a "Document".
5) Each "Document" may have multiple "Attachments" associated to it.
6) When a "Document" is larger than a court specific size it must be broken down into multiple parts.  LegalXML Blue should define how the multiple parts are associated with the first portion of the "Document" and they can be included as "Documents" if the court dockets each portion in the case history or as "Attachments" if the court does not docket each portion.  This example points to an example of why "Attachment" specific data needs XML data associated with it to identify which part in the series it represents.

7) Regarding the Return Response Message, we must have a status at the Filing Review Message level and at each "Document" level.  I am not sure of the "Attachment" level yet, however I can see that it may be an issue in the future.

8) There is information that is general case information and there is information that is document specific.  Party information can be argued as either depending on the situation, and we must be able to carry that information in both the main body and document specific area.

9) We must have the ability to understand the condition of when a party is being added, and when a party is being updated.

10) Some Filing Review Messages may not contain "Documents" or "Attachments".

I support John Greacen's position that we must be able to carry any court specific data a court needs for automation on case initiation.  I also support the same position for existing case update.  What good is a standard that allows for some automation but not everything a court really wants.  This would simply put the courts in a position where they will wait for a standard that works for them and deviate from the limited standard.  That is one of the challenges we already face.

I struggle with the debate over whether to create a method of extending the XML data within the main SOAP Body or whether to keep the main body simple and straight forward.  I lean towards the complete separation which is cleaner to manage in interoperability but may not be as fast in processing because you have to extract the XML data out of a MIME embedded attachment.  This however leads to the next definition and requirement:

Embedded Processing Data - Some form of machine interpreted data, possibly an XML document instance, that is not associated with any specific "Document" or "Attachment" but is general data associated with the case, whether the data is for case initiation or for existing case update.

11) The main Body must be able to identify this type of data and possibly the format associated with this data.

I hope this answers the question that John Greacen posed as to whether any of the implementers had thoughts on these issues.  In addition, it has been difficult to complete our assignment that Jim, Jim, and I had in New Orleans because we are not all currently part the the group seeking to define the XML message structures therefor the best I thought we could do is to lay out the requirements, however, I have included Jim Cabral's message he sent to Jim Harris and I seeking to further explore how we are going to address the related "Document", "Attachments" and associated XML data.

Dallas