Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Case Initiation Elements

Regarding "attachment," often it is referred to as an "exhibit" with regard to a court filing. That is, there is the "lead document" and then there are perhaps "exhibits" that are "stapled" to it.

While "exhibit" has other meaning - as in items submitted in evidence in court - within the context of court filings, "exhibit" can be taken to mean, fairly precisely, what we're using "attachment" for.

This doesn't solve the problem of the big document that is broken up into smaller files and then put back together by having parts 2 and subsequent added as "attachments" to the "lead" (part 1). Strictly speaking, not "exhibits," but this may work out.

I'm not saying this is THE answer, but when someone identifies a term that is troublesome from having multiple meanings in different contexts, we need to seek out alternatives, so we can proceed with as much clarity as possible.

Roger Winters

King County
Department of Judicial Administration

Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Coordinator

and

Programs and Projects Manager

516 Third Avenue, E-609 MS: KCC-JA-0609

Seattle, Washington 98104