Subject: ArgoUML

A few members have asked me about installing ArgoUML, to be able to read/edit the domain model artifacts that are being posted as we draft the ECF 3.0 specification.

Please note that you do not need to use ArgoUML to review this work-product.  We are saving all diagrams as images (GIFs) and posting those to KAVI as well.  Also, we are generating a document with all of the domain model definitions.  So, you can review everything just by using your browser to look at the images and documentation html.

But, if you want to explore the model in its native form or edit it, you'll need ArgoUML.  Here's what you do:

1.  Install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE), which you can download for free from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html.  You'll want the link labeled "J2SE v. 1.4.2_08 JRE".

2.  Download ArgoUML from http://argouml.tigris.org/files/documents/4/0/argouml-0.18.1/ArgoUML-0.18.1.zip.  Unzip this zipfile somewhere on your system (using winzip, or whatever you normally use to unzip things.)  Double-click the file "argouml.jar" (this won't work if you don't have a JRE installed, per step 1.)  On the file menu in ArgoUML, choose "Open Project...", and select the DomainModels.zargo file you downloaded from KAVI.

Feel free to email me off-list if you have any questions or issues.

Thanks.
--Scott