Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Record Docketing and Callbacks

I agree with Shane that the court assigned case number is not appropriate for the synchronous callback.

I also agree that it may be useful for the court record data to be returned to the Filing Assembly MDE in the asynchronous callback.  This does not change my view that no such information need be transmitted to the service recipients.

From: Shane.Durham@lexisnexis.com [mailto:Shane.Durham@lexisnexis.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:41 AM
To: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

>> 1. The ReviewFiling synchronous callback includes

FYI: I'm going to call this thing 'MessageReceipt'.

>>  - the court-assigned case number

I don't believe this value is needed in this message.

Is it supposed to represent the court's temporary/private case number, which it might briefly assign to filings which initiated a case?

If so:

What functional purpose does it serve? We have no query-interfaces, or other functions, that would make use of a court's temporary case number.

Is it a value that is relevant to a filer?

If this value is supposed to represent the court's permanent/published case number then:

If the filing is to an existing case, this value is already known to the filer and does not need to be in the MessageReceipt. If the filing is to a new case, then the value cannot be known until AFTER the filing review.

The reason I focus on this value is because it makes ReviewFiling's MessageReceipt, different than RecordDocketing's MessageReceipt.

I think our MessageReceipts, regardless of the original call, should have identical properties. I think MessageReceipt's should be consistent, regardless of what is being transmitted.

On the subject of returning docketing data to the 'Docketing' caller:

Placing my "API-designer cap" on:

I like to see function calls return the results of their function.  It's just good a good technical pattern to follow (at least, I believe so). When I see functions that don't behave in that pattern, I instinctively cringe.

I think the caller of RecordDocketing, should get a callback containing a "Docketing Receipt", and that  receipt should express what data was docketed, and what data was NOT docketed.   That's not unrealistic, is it?

However, switching to my "functional cap":

I agree with the point of view, that it is not absolutely necessary to return those values to the caller if the following is true:

* The action of 'RecordDocketing' updates an instance of the court-record that has been made accessible, via query interface, to the FilingReview and FilingAssembly users.

Finally, with my "practical cap" on:

It has been my experience that integrated courts are unwilling to implement a query-accessible court-record.

The primary reasons are concerns about security, system strain, costs, and project deadlines. (With an underline on 'costs', and triple-underline for 'deadlines')

And so, my integration team usually relies on the 'Callback' functions to provide sufficient information about 'what was docketed' so that WE can maintain a reasonable facsimile of the court-record to be accessed by our users (both filers AND clerks).

So, (after cycling through my decision caps) I think we DO need the ability to express court-record data in our "Docketing Receipt" and "Filing Receipt".

My want of a well-formed API call, and my practical experience of NEEDING that data, makes me think we should have it.

Perhaps, the court-record data could be an *optional* part of the Callback?

(I could live with that approach... which is consistent with what I deal with today).

- Shane Durham

LexisNexis