Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Charter: Mention Marked-Up Documents

This is the reason that in many early or documents we referred to this as
the legal community.  I think you all have good points that it would be
helpful to define and the legal community and to support the different
constituencies within the community.  We must however that we cannot locally
optimize everyone!  There will always be trade-offs that the TC will need to
be aware of that work for and that balancing is part of the mission.

Regards,
Don
Donald L. Bergeron
Systems Designer
LexisNexis
donald.bergeron@lexisnexis.com
O 937-865-1276
H 937-748-2775
M 937-672-7781
-----Original Message-----
From: John Messing [mailto:jmessing@law-on-line.com]
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 9:25 PM
To: O'Brien,Robert
Cc: john@greacen.net; Roger.Winters@METROKC.GOV;
legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

I think the needs of lawyers need to acknowledged. The filings for them
are ways to influence a judge's or jury's decision. If they feel put
into a strait-jacket for extraneous reasons, they may feel that
electronic filing is an obstacle, rebel and complain to the judges. A
way to prevent such an outcome, which I think would be disasterous for
electronic court filing, is to assure that free-form of argument is
available somewhere within a document. It may not even be persistent
data from the perspective of the court administration, but it is a
matter of record and will require preservation nontheless. It could be
stored as a single blob or as some kind of character data. But it will
need to be included, to avoid real trouble, IMHO.