Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] RFP assistance needed--brief survey

Robin,

Please see my responses below on behalf of Maricopa County. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or if I can provide you with any additional information.

Thanks,

CJ Allen

Business Analyst

Clerk of the Superior Court | Maricopa County, Phoenix AZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin.Gibson@courts.mo.gov [mailto:Robin.Gibson@courts.mo.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:41 AM
To: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

As most of you know, Missouri is in the middle of developing an RFP for

electronic filing.  Surprisingly, or maybe not so surprising, one of the

contentious issues among staff is file size.  If you could take a minute to

review these questions and answer any that you can, I'd really appreciate

it.  Please let me know if any of these are confusing.  Also, I would be

glad for any of the vendors to reply.  Thanks!

1. Do you have a file size limit within your court data/document management system for storing e-filed documents? If so, what is the largest  individual document you will store?

Our office does not impose any file size limits on filers or vendors, although we do ask them to break the larger sized documents down into parts. It should be noted that we are now looking into adding some limits based on our experiences with different size filings. One of the largest files to come recently was 95MB (1,756 pages). This file had to be manually imported to our document management system from the eFiling system. We have found that having a document this large presents retrieval problems for those users retrieving through our case management system. Our subject matter experts suggest that the 50+ page mark is when we begin to experience problems with image retrieval.

2. Do you have a file transfer size limit between your court data/document management system and your electronic filing service provider? If so, what is the largest file you will transmit or accept? What do you do about files larger than that limit?

Same answer as above question #1.

3. What is the average document size for your electronically filed documents (MB or KB)? If you know it, what is the average number of pages per electronically filed document?

While we cannot easily determine the average number of pages per electronically filed document, we can provide you with the following chart of document sizes.

Files Sizes                    Frequency

4KB – 9KB                            944

10KB - 49KB                        64,190

50KB – 99KB                       107,639

100KB – 199KB                   25,403

200KB – 999KB                   17,384

1000KB – 2999KB              6,153

3000KB – 9999KB              2,068

10,000KB – 59,999KB       360

4. Does your electronic filing service provider accept bulk/mass filings? Are they transmitted to the court as individual filings or does the court disassemble them into individual filings? If they are transmitted to the court in bulk, what is the filing size limit (KB or MB)? Is there a limit to the number of cases in the bulk filing?

We currently do not accept bulk filings submitted under one ‘envelope’. We have integrated with other county agencies who directly file mass filings at a time, however they come over as individual filings. These files are included on the above chart of file sizes.

5. Does your electronic filing service provider (non-court) retain copies of the documents filed electronically?

Our active participating vendor, Wiznet, does retain copies of documents that are electronically filed through their website. I would encourage you to contact them directly if you have additional questions about their policies. [www.Wiznet.com]

Robin

Robin Gibson

Information Technology Division

Office of State Courts Administrator