Subject: Stanford Follow-Up & Future of LegalXML Member Section

Good Day Everyone,

First, please accept my apologies for my silence over the last several weeks. I have to be 100% honest, in that I was so taken aback by the email delivered to the LegalXML Steering Committee regarding the board's decision to freeze our budget that I needed some time to digest the situation. For all of us, balancing our everyday workloads with volunteering to serve on OASIS committees is difficult, even more so amid disappointing news.

That said, I think we've all seen by example through the responses to that initial email announcing the budget freeze, and in the more recent discussion following the Stanford event, that there is significant interest among the member section in keeping the section alive, and in moving forward with developing LegalXML standards. Monica and Jim have shared several good ideas regarding possible future areas where TC's could be formed, including:

Additionally, the ECF TC has more work to do including (shared by Jim Harris):
  • For the remainder of 2010 and into 2011, the ECF TC will continue TA and outreach activities to promote adoption of the ECF specifications for electronic court filing implementations,
  • In 2011, the ECF TC is planning a face-to-face meeting for work on updates to the specification (including minor corrections and updates based on feedback received from implementations; and maybe also mapping changes to utilize elements in the new family domain of NIEM 2.1).  TA and outreach activities will also continue throughout 2011.
  • Though precise timing is not yet determined, we are expecting NIEM 3.0 to be released in 18 to 24 months (probably sometime in 2012).  This new version of NIEM is expected to include significant changes that will require a major version release of ECF.
So, to continue this discussion, and hopefully arrive at a solution, and as indicated by the email Robin Gibson just sent out ... we are proposing a joint conference call of the LegalXML Member Section, Steering Committee, and the Electronic Court Filing Technical Committee. Please indicate your availability at the link below.

http://doodle.com/x3t74g4ta67uatp3

Thanks so much for everyone's patience and understanding. I look forward to continuing our work on LegalXML.

George W. Knecht
PC Intellect LLC
602.380.8049