Subject: Re: Fw: [legalxml-courtfiling] LegalXML Electronic Court FilingConference Call TOMORROW--correction

All ... I am sorry, but I'm actually triple booked at this time tomorrow. I'm not going to be able to attend ECF meeting.

Quickly ... here's a report on how my visit to the E-Court conference in Vegas went.

I attended the conference and armed with the ECF Quick Start Guide set up camp at the NCSC booth. Their booth, however, was somewhat out of the way, not in the main area of the vendor exhibits so it wasn't generating very much traffic. I did speak to a few people at the booth re: ECF, but nothing very significant. There were also quite a few folks who took the quick start guide, without any conversation with me.

Since traffic at the booth was low, I decided to go and visit all the vendors who claimed to provide "e-filing" as part of the product, introduced myself, provided them a Quick Start Guide, and asked them if they knew much about OASIS, LegalXML, and ECF. Almost all of them did seem to indicate that they were aware of the standard. I took that as a good sign. None of them, however, seemed to have any solid plans to use the specification within their products. I encouraged all of them to get involved with OASIS, and the ECF TC. Honestly, all seemed to indicate that they were possibly interested in doing that, but I wasn't holding my breath. We'll see if any new members sign up any time soon.

The most interesting conversation I had at the conference was with Michael J. Kopatich, Assistant Circuit Executive for Information Technology, with the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. Michael said his primary purpose for attending the conference was to do research on ideas for the next generation of the federal e-filing system. Apparently, a major problem with the current system is that changes are extremely difficult, as even minor changes break integrations with other justice agencies. As we discussed ECF, I think he started to see the benefit of using a standardized data exchange model, and one based on NIEM at that. I encouraged Michael to have someone from the Federal system participate in LegalXML and ECF, and he seemed very genuinely interested in making sure that occurs.

I plan to send Michael a follow up email to remind him of our conversation and encourage their participation again.

Thanks,

George