Subject: Re: [legalxml-courtfiling] CR MDE. Push/Pull modes.

Jim,

I agree with your remarks on the process model.
I am not saying the pull mode has advantages.
Rather the push mode does not work in some cases.

Here are the cases we've heard so far:
1. Poor Inet connection
A Court is on a poor Inet connection.
We were told about modem (56 Kbits/sec) connections.
Typically, such Court would have low traffic expectations - few cases to deal with.

Setting up a listening service (web service as one) does not look like a good solution.
Periodic querying (pulling) however might do the trick.

2. Cannot deal with documents
A Court is willing to receive and process RecordFilingRequest XML messages.
It has no provision to keep and manage filing documents.
Even if we may find a way to handle GetDoc, GetCase requests at some other EFM component, the Court also wants to be able getting the documents.
One option would be to tell the Court to act as an EFSP; another one is for EFM to expose something like OASIS CMIS interface.
Both options would deviate from ECF model.

3. Have my software already in place
This one more like a hack.
A Court has its own software to process filings.
It has no resources to develop ECF compliant software. Yet, it wants to stay along with other state Courts in their effort to standardize to ECF.
A Court might be willing to develop a client to pull RecordFilingRequest, delegating the other calls to elsewhere.

Take a look at this use case from the perspective of an EFM, compliant with ECF, serving multiple such Courts.
How would EFM manage it?
One way is to have multiple adapters per Court - quite a work to do with 20-50 Courts.
Another one - is to allow them to pull.

To sum-up.
Intresys does not promote the pull mode.
What we say is:
- the push, as in ECF spec, does not work in some cases.
We are looking for other solutions as well.
At this stage - just sharing.

-
Serguei M.
Intresys