Subject: ECF 5.0 and limited electronic service of process

I recently had a chance to brief staff from National Corporate Research (NCR), a professional registered agent company, on ECF 5.0.  In our discussions on the ECF TC, we have been considering how to standardize the electronic delivery of filings to process servers who would then serve in person.  We have had less discussion of how we could extend this to include electronic delivery to registered agents.  To clarify how it works today, registered agents receive filings from the process servers on behalf of their clients and then deliver the filings to their client in various electronic or non-electronic means.  NCR is concerned that they do not want to become in effect the in person process server - they simply do not have the staff to do this on a broad scale.   I’m confident other registered agents will have the same objection.

Based on these concerns, I suggest we consider limiting the scope of ECF 5.0 support for e-SOP to electronic delivery to process servers and removing references to registered agents.