Subject: Fw: [NTAC] RE: External adapter examples

Good news.  Scott Renner provided an example of embedding a non-NIEM standard, in this case GML, into a NIEM message using an external adapter.  From this example, it seems easier than I thought.  We should be able to use the same approach to embed UBL payment information into a NIEM-conformant ECF 5 message.

__
Jim Cabral
502 509-4532

From: sar@mitre.org
Sent: ‎Wednesday‎, ‎September‎ ‎10‎, ‎2014 ‎10‎:‎10‎ ‎AM
To: ntac@lists.gatech.edu

James,

The CoT-NIEM IEPD found in the MPD toolkit contains a few adapter types for GML components.  That allows us to use GML components for geolocation, like this:

  <mof:EventLocation>

    <mof:LocationCylinder>

      <mof:LocationPoint>

        <gml:Point gml:id="I1" srsName="http://metadata.ces.mil/mdr/ns/GSIP/crs/WGS84E_3D">

          <gml:pos>32.23426 -110.34511 90.2</gml:pos>

        </gml:Point>

      </mof:LocationPoint>

      <mof:LocationCylinderRadiusValue>44.2</mof:LocationCylinderRadiusValue>

      <mof:LocationCylinderHalfHeightValue>21.7</mof:LocationCylinderHalfHeightValue>

      <mof:LocationCreationCode>MACHINE.GPS</mof:LocationCreationCode>

    </mof:LocationCylinder>

  </mof:EventLocation>

As you can see, there’s nothing obvious in the IEP to mark the boundary of the adapted content.  The “adapterness” is off-stage in the schema, in which mof:LocationPointType is an adapter type, defined as

 <xs:complexType name="LocationPointType" appinfo:externalAdapterTypeIndicator="true">

    <xs:complexContent>

      <xs:extension base="structures:ObjectType">

        <xs:sequence>

          <xs:element ref="gml:Point" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>

        </xs:sequence>

      </xs:extension>

    </xs:complexContent>

  </xs:complexType>

The OGC’s Geo4NIEM experiment found that embedding GML components in NIEM messages via adapter types preserves the GML semantics and works great with GML-aware COTS tools.

cheers,

-- scott