Subject: Bulk updating of attorneys associated with cases

ECF TC:

Several members of the CITOC committee recently discussed the need for bulk updating of attorneys associated with cases. See below. Is this something we want to consider for ECF?

I am wondering if any states that have eFiling have developed a method for “mass” entry of appearance by an attorney on multiple cases.

We have recurring situations here, which I would assume to be similar to situations that can occur in other states, where the attorney of record for a large number of cases needs to be updated all at once.  A couple examples of when that happens for us is when an attorney from a large firm retires, or the county attorney of a high population area changes over in an election.   There can then be 1000’s of cases, where party(ies) attorney representation needs to be changed.

Our eFiling system is designed for attorneys to file case-by-case, and we’ve had some resistance when asking the attorneys to file appearances on all the cases that need to be changed.

I’m looking to find out if this was/is an issue for anyone else, and if so, if there has been a creative solution developed for the problem.

__
Jim Cabral
502 509-4532