Subject: FW: ECF 5.0 Concerns

ECF TC:

Jim Price has raised some valid questions and concerns with the scope of ECF 5.0 and the TC and in general.  I have provided my responses based on my opinions and recollections but I can’t speak for the whole TC.  Please take a look and weigh in. Let’s discuss and confirm our direction at the next monthly call.

__
Jim Cabral
502 509-4532

From: Price, Jim
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:02 PM
To: James E Cabral; 'Harris, James'
Cc: Graham, Gary
Subject: RE: ECF 5.0 Concerns

>>> Compatibility with the latest version of NIEM is an important feature for many of our target users

Is compatibility a fait accompli?  In other words, is ECF deprecating elements immediately or is there a transition period?  Or are these changes optional.  IMO, we should be improving upon what we have, not replacing it for the sake of compatibility with NIEM.

>>> From my perspective, we have been fairly deliberate about the scope and schedule of ECF 5

I agree in general, but are all cards being shown on the table?  Again, release notes are a deliberate communication of the things that are changing.  Logs that are compiled over several years is a search-for-needles-in-haystacks exercise.

>>> While backward compatibility is essential for minor releases (e.g. 4.01), we have been clear that major releases make no attempt at or guarantee of backward compatibility.  However, I am attempting to provide better traceability  in the mappings between 4.01 and 5.0 than we provided from 3.0 to 4.0 to reduce the burden on existing implementers.

If we want to bolster interest and increase market penetration, our product should be implementable as seamlessly and as easily as possible in courts.  This is the real world reality that we face today.  Plug’n Play is the norm, not the exception, but ECF isn’t even close to being Plug’n Play.  Today, any changes made to the ECF specs require complementary changes elsewhere in a given court’s enterprise, e.g., CMSs, applications that operate downstream to the CMSs (e.g., bench automation services, common case data and document repositories, interface applications to these repositories).  In other words, there is a significant ripple effect throughout the enterprise from a time, effort, and cost perspectives.  Backwards compatibility should be the expectation, not the exception.  This principle should never be marginalized since the courts pay the freight to implement e-filing systems.  Understanding the business of the courts is critical to understanding the impact changes to our specs have.  Miss this opportunity and we miss the sole purpose for ECF’s existence.  Is Arizona the only court represented in the TC…???

Regards,

Jim