Subject: Re: [legalxml-econtracts] Data Consortium Contract Schema Requirements

Thanks for posting your scenario John.

I hope to get a chance before i get on a plane this weekend to pose a
few questions based on our past email exchanges which I'd expect your
scenario to address.

In the meantime, two things...

1. Your scenario statement says:

"What does the real estate professional do, today, with the executed
lease contract? .. Most databases in the commercial real estate industry
today are relational databases, .... In short, the industry transfers
selected fields of information from the contract to databases that drive
facilities management and accounting functions.

Clearly, this process can be improved by converting the contract into a
database itself that drives the facilities management and accounting
functions of a commercial real estate management company. In order for
this to happen, however, all information in the contract must be
annotated with XML tags. .. By doing so, introduction of new or improved
services will no longer depend on the information abstracted from a
contract, because that step will have been eliminated. "

There are analogies here with contract management systems (with which
I'm guessing your application has considerable overlap).

Are contract management system vendors also looking to eliminate the
transformation to relational data by using XML contracts?

If the answer to this question is an emphatic yes (Barry?), then as you
say, we need to be able to capture everything of interest to the CMS in
the contract.

(If the answer is yes, then how is additional information pertaining to
performance of the contract (eg breach of service level on dd/mm/yyyy)
captured on an ongoing basis?  If this is captured relationally, or in
some other way outside the contract XML document, then what is so
compelling about keeping the rest in the original XML?)

If the answer is no, then it would be acceptable to capture a useful
subset in XML, which could be augmented by manual data entry at the time
the contract is entered into the CMS.

2.  I'm sure you have some sample leases, purchase contracts, and
renewals which you have used for your analysis.  Can you post some of
them to the list?  (I will be posting URLs for some of the contracts
we'd like to see covered).

thanks

Jason