Subject: Re: [legalxml-econtracts] Autonumbering - a non-issue

John McClure wrote:

>Jason said:
>

>>I'm not sure i get what you are driving at here.  I've always used
>>stylesheets to apply appropriate numbering to the clauses - you might
>>call this autonumbering.  This way, if you edit the contract and move a
>>clause or promote or demote it, it will automatically get the correct
>>new number.
>>
>>One of the questions we haven't discussed yet, is whether there is a
>>need to be able to explicitly number each clause (ie if you don't want
>>to leave this to your stylesheet).
>>

>Actually, we have discussed this important question ALOT.

I meant we haven't discussed it in our teleconferences.

I agree that when people digitally sign a contract, they'll want to sign
some "presentation form".

The scenario in which auto numbering is very important is negotiation.
 If two parties are trying to negotiate a contract, they'll be
exchanging drafts.  And they will _not_ want to manually number the
clauses in the draft contract.  they don't do that with Word, and they
don't need to do it with XML Contracts.