Subject: Compromise Contract Structure, and Req #106

All,
I've thought more about Jim Keane's question -- whether another proposial can
combine the best of both worlds. Since "Section" is in both hierarchies, let's
try to leverage that, and address my basic issues: (1) Poor naming of lower
levels under "Section" (2) no "Clause" element and (3) No flexibility at upper
levels... Does this look alright to everyone?

<Contract>
<Paragraph></Paragraph>
<Article>
   <Paragraph/>
   <Section>
        <Paragraph/>
        <Clause>
	<Paragraph/>
               <Clause>
                    <Paragraph/>
               </Clause>
        </Clause>
    </SubSection>
</Article>
</Contract>

Rules:
1. Paragraphs contain NO captioning elements.
2. Articles, Sections, and Clauses contain captioning elements.
3. Articles and Sections are not recursive elements.
4. Clause elements are recursive -- useful for levels 4+.
5. All elements may occur multiple times

This reduces the number of CSS selectors from 26 to 9:
Contract Article
Contract Article Section
Contract Article Section Clause
Contract Article Section Clause Clause
Contract Paragraph
Contract Article Paragraph
Contract Article Section Paragraph
Contract Article Section Clause Paragraph
Contract Article Section Clause Clause Paragraph

Now, this proposal does not yet address FrontMatter, Body, and BackMatter. I
propose that the structural elements, above, may also appear in any of those
elements eg

<Contract>
   <FrontMatter>
	<Paragraph/>
	<Article/>
   </FrontMatter>
   <Body>
	<Paragraph/>
	<Article/>
   </Body>
   <BackMatter>
	<Paragraph/>
	<Article/>
   </BackMatter>
</Contract>
I also MUST put onto the agenda for the next telecon the following, urgent,
question:

In Requirement #106 from Jason Harrop, is the "stylesheet" there referenced
referring to an XSL stylesheet OR a CSS stylesheet? The requirement now reads:
"106. Formatting to be handled via a stylesheet, which typically will apply to a
class of documents. The document author must NOT (emphasis added) be able to
change the formatting (ie override firm style) by applying formatting directly
to a clause."

The importance of this question is that, if CSS is a recognized stylesheet
language, then there are at least three extremely important consequences. The
standard contract datastream must therefore:
1. contain elements that correspond to every string of text shown in the
contract
2. contain elements that are reasonably in the same order as their order of
presentation
3. contain elements that facilitate the proper formatting of the contract

I also would add that all elements should allow class and style attributes to be
specified, which directly contradicts Requirement #106. I am very concerned that
this requirement to prevent modification of presentation styling is much more an
application-level requirement, not an interchange requirement. I also add that
CSS is an extremely important W3C standard, not one built just for HTML.... it
was built for direct display of XML datastreams, and for display of XHTML
datastreams created by XSL-T stylesheets.

Personally, I am resolutely in favor of supporting CSS -- in the manner of the
consequential requirements I outline above -- but there are other reasons beyond
a simple declaration of support for the W3C's long-established CSS standard, the
most important of which is that the opportunity for fraudulent mischief is too
great with contracts that are generated by programmatic application of an XSL
stylesheet to an XML datastream. I simply do not want to be party to a standard
that allows contract clauses to be included/excluded, or their text to be
determined, programmatically. My objective is to minimize absolutely the
probability of repudiation of a contract encoded in conformance with the
standards that we are developing.

If the workgroup decides that CSS support -- with the consequences outlined --
is critical, then I propose that Req #106 be worded as follows:

"106. All contract datastreams defined by this workgroup shall be able to be
formatted for direct display using the Cascading Stylesheet (CSS) language, as
defined by the W3C. No contract datastream may assume text that is or may be
generated programmatically prior to its presentation for signature using digital
procedures (in contrast to printed contracts). No contract datastream may assume
an order of XML elements that varies from the normal order of presentation of
those elements. No contract datastream may assume that content such as headers
and footers will be replicated during the display of the contract."

I urge us to create a standard that represents the entire contract, not much
more, and most certainly NOT ONE IOTA LESS. I urge us to resist creating a
standard for a datastream from which the contract is DERIVED using programming
tools like an XSL-T engine. If we create a standard from which the contract is
derived, then it's clear to me that we are not defining a standard for the
contract itself.

This issue is of critical importance to me, personally, for it is the one I
raised forcefully during our "chartering" and it was one that was deferred until
this "requirements phase" we're deeply within. This decision is necessary now
because other discussions, such as whether the standard will allow caption
numbers to be generated by the recipient of a contract that is coded in
conformance to the standard, depend in large part on its outcome.

I urge this group to require direct formatting by CSS of the xml datastream we
call an eContract.
John McClure