Subject: RE: [legalxml-econtracts] The CSS issue (was .. Req #106)

I apologize in advance for the length of this message. I agree with
addressing the presentation issue. To me the issue is more whether the
XML representation of a contract or the presentation image of it will be
intended by the parties as the binding expression of their mutual
agreement and thus will be enforced by the courts as a legal matter
(i.e. will be "conclusive").

In common law (US, UK, AU, Canada, and related jurisidictions), one
important legal element of a contract is a "meeting of the minds" of the
contracting parties -- their mutual assent or intent. A fundamental
purpose of contract law is to enforce the mutual agreement or intentions
of the parties. Currently, the words the parties use, which often are
written down, exchanged, read, and signed by them, evidence their
"meeting of the minds." Thus, if a dispute later arises, it becomes
critical for courts and lawyers to decide what the parties mutually
agreed upon and intended based on the objective expressions they used
(typically the words in a written contract) so that the agreement they
reached can be determined and enforced.

XML allows content to be separated from display. This technical feature
of XML creates something of a legal problem for contracts because an
agreement can be expressed and exchanged in two separate and different
formats -- in the XML representation or in the presentation image of it.
Either can be exchanged by the parties and either can serve as evidence
of the parties' mutual agreement or intentions.

Because it is more likely that the presentation image (rather than the
XML) will be what most users exchange as the expression evidencing their
intent and agreement (at least when humans are involved), presentation
of XML contracts takes on particular significance from a legal
perspective.  It is difficult to see how an XML representation can be
accepted as expressing or evidencing a "meeting of the minds" or the
intent of the parties, and consequently be enforced by a court, if
neither side even knows what the XML representation contains. This is
particularly the case when the parties themselves have instead exchanged
a presentation image of the XML for such a purpose.

The parties are almost certainly free to agree that the XML
representation rather than the presentation image of it is the
"official" or binding expression of their mutual agreement if they
choose, but I doubt few people will do so. If the parties look to the
presentation image of the XML rather than to the XML itself as
evidencing their mutual agreement and intentions, then a court almost
certainly will do so as well and, like the parties themselves, ignore
the XML. Of course, it would also be important to have a single,
definitive presentation image in such situations to avoid disputes about
what each side saw, signed, and agreed to.

I have not thought through all the legal implications this may have for
representing contracts using XML. It certainly appears that an XML
representation of a contract exchanged between two contracting parties
would probably not be the legally enforceable expression of their
agreement where they have neither seen the XML nor specifically agreed
that the XML would serve as the "binding" expression of their mutual
agreement and intent. This problem might be solved by requiring the
parties to exchange a "definitive" presentation image of a contract
document, such as a pdf version, along with the XML or perhaps by
requiring them to exchange technical details about how the XML is to be
presented (e.g. what stylesheet will be used, what browser or other
application will be used to generate a presentation image, etc.).

It also appears that the presentation issue has little legal
significance outside the context of an exchange between contracting
parties (i.e. the legal issue does not arise where XML is used by only
one party as a tool for administering or generating draft contract
documents), where the parties have expressly agreed that the XML
representation they are exchanging will control regardless of what the
presentation image looks like, or where only XML without a presentation
image is exchanged (e.g. with automated contracting processes involving
only the exchange of XML between machines).

While the presentation issue is important, I think an XML eContracts
spec would still be useful whether it creates the "conclusive" (i.e.
legally enforceable) presentation image of the XML or not. I also think
it would be helpful for an XML eContracts spec to provide sufficient
information to make it reasonably easy to create a presentation image of
the XML in case the contracting parties want or need a presentation
image for their purposes.

Rolly Chambers