Subject: Re: [legalxml-econtracts] CSS - "hanging indent" attempts

Thanks for sharing this John.

You have used position: absolute.  The problem with this is what happens
when you go to layout the next block.

Quoting from 9.3.1 of the spec, "Absolutely positioned boxes are taken
out of the normal flow. This means they have no impact on the layout of
later siblings."

For example, please see the attached. I've added a second clause.  I've
also broken out the (A) and (B), using ListItem, attempting to mark them
up as i think you would.

Can you make this display correctly in Mozilla and Internet Explorer?

cheers,

Jason

John McClure wrote:

>here you go Jason --- and successfully tested with Mozilla 5.0 -- the solution i
>shared before works only for IE, but the solution attached works for both
>browsers. Same drill -- the css goes with the xml version. For the html version,
>the css is embedded.

LEGALXML     {display:block}
Clause       {display:block;}
BlockBody    {position:absolute;left:5%;}
BlockCaption {position:absolute;width:5%}

ListItem       {display:block;
margin-left: 50pt;}
Dingbat    {position:absolute;left:5%;}
FirstParagraph {position:absolute;}

P       {display:block;}

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href='hangingindent2.css'?>
<LEGALXML>
    <P>.</P>
    <P>.</P>
    <P>Happiness.</P>
    <Clause>
        <BlockCaption><en>(a)</en></BlockCaption>
        <BlockBody><en>
        The Tenant's request for remittance shall be
        accompanied by: (A) a certificate of Tenant (in
        form reasonably satisfactory to Landlord) stating
        that an amount at least equal to the Reimbursement
        Amount has been paid to contractors,
        subcontractors, materialmen, engineers, architects
        or other persons (whose names and addresses and a
        description of the work involved shall be stated)
        who have furnished labor, materials, supplies,
        permits or services for the work in question
        (collectively, "Contractors") and that to Tenant's
        best knowledge (after due inquiry) there is no
        outstanding indebtedness due for labor, materials,
        supplies, permits or services in any manner
        connected with the work in question which if
        unpaid might be the basis for any type of lien on
        the Leased Premises or any part thereof, and (B) a
        certificate of the architect or engineer who
        prepared the related Plans and Specifications (in
        form reasonably</en>
        </BlockBody>
    </Clause>
    <Clause>
        <BlockCaption><en>(b)</en></BlockCaption>
        <BlockBody><en>
        The Tenant's request for remittance shall be
        accompanied by:</en>
                                                <List>
                                                    <ListItem>
                                                        <Dingbat>
                                                            <en>(A)</en></Dingbat>
                                                        <FirstParagraph>
                                                            <SubPart>
                                                                <en>a certificate of Tenant (in
        form reasonably satisfactory to Landlord) stating
        that an amount at least equal to the Reimbursement
        Amount has been paid to contractors,
        subcontractors, materialmen, engineers, architects
        or other persons (whose names and addresses and a
        description of the work involved shall be stated)
        who have furnished labor, materials, supplies,
        permits or services for the work in question
        (collectively, "Contractors") and that to Tenant's
        best knowledge (after due inquiry) there is no
        outstanding indebtedness due for labor, materials,
        supplies, permits or services in any manner
        connected with the work in question which if
        unpaid might be the basis for any type of lien on
        the Leased Premises or any part thereof, and</en></SubPart></FirstParagraph></ListItem>
                                                    <ListItem>
                                                        <Dingbat>
                                                            <en>(B)</en></Dingbat>
                                                        <FirstParagraph>
                                                            <SubPart>
                                                                <en>a
        certificate of the architect or engineer who
        prepared the related Plans and Specifications (in
        form reasonably
        </en></SubPart></FirstParagraph></ListItem></List></BlockBody>
    </Clause>
</LEGALXML>