Subject: Re: [legalxml-econtracts] The Future We Want?

The other consensus tentatively polled today (correctly in my view) was
that presentation is out of scope.

That means that the XML purporting to represent the contract is just
that - XML.  Crucially, it is a representation of the contract.  It can
be validated against the schema to be developed by this TC to verify
that it is in fact a contract (as understood by software ).  Its also
the contract, as understood by the parties - see further below on this
point.

So, to address your alarmist contentions, you _can_ use XPath and XQuery
on the contract.  You _can_ search for a caption.  And the caption
numbers _can_ be hardcoded (see the example markup both you and I
posted).  Of course you can cite a specific part of the contract.

Mentioning XSLT at this point is a red herring.

This XML purporting to represent the contract is  _the_ contract,  not
just as understood by software, but as understood by the parties.  And
it can be visualised and recorded for posterity however the parties
wish.  It is that visualisation, or presentation format, which the
parties are likely to sign.  Whatever format they choose (be it the raw
XML, which is likely in agent-based scenarios, PDF or a printed Word
document (both of which are likely for the foreseeable future, or CSS or
SVG) is their choice, and will be the document referred to if the
contract is ever seen by a court.  Again, it is not for us to dictate
what that format is, much less decree that it can't be PDF or RTF or
something else.

This means there are quite probably several representations of the
contract, but only one which was signed and is definitive.  Same as
today, where there is often an electronic representation stored on a
computer somewhere, which people can use when it suits them, photocopies
provided to people who need them, and several signed counterparts.
 Different representations, but only the signed counterparts are definitive.

Another analogy: have a look at the "Available Formats" section in
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/

It says that the CSS2 specification is available in HTML, plain text,
gzip'ed PostScript and PDF.  It goes on to say "In case of a discrepancy
between the various forms of the specification,
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/Overview.html> is considered the
definitive version."

What software can do with that presentation format obviously depends on
what format the parties choose.  For this reason, you'll probably want
to write your software against the non-presentation XML we are
standardising.  The XML (ie as standardised by our TC) will often be all
the parties ever use.  That is what will end up in contract management
systems, and will be used for generating reports etc etc.  But, if there
turns out to be a discrepancy between the XML and the thing they signed,
then the latter is what counts.  My understanding from the teleconf
today is that this is well understood and accepted by the lawyers in our
midst.  Anyone care to confirm?

Obviously the risk of using the XML we are standardizing in contract
management systems etc, where some presentation format is actually what
was signed, is on the person using it.  No different from today.  But if
you are really concerned about fraud, and want to check up front that
the XML version contains the same words, it is a simple matter to do so.
 You could open the XML version in your tool of choice, and use your
eyes to compare it to the presentation version.  Or you could use
software to compare the characters in the presentation format (whatever
it is, including for example PDF) against the standardised XML, and
report any discrepencies.  Or, you could just ask how the presentation
format was prepared.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

Jason