Subject: RE: [legalxml-econtracts] Citation-related Reqs

Hi John,

I have been over your citation related requirements posting. It seems to me
that the issues you raise are all interesting and that there is much work to
be done on this area. I think we will need to focus on just how users will
create links in their documents and how we will avoid dependencies on
particular processing technologies. Personally, I think that most of your
stated conclusions are more design preferences rather than functional
requirements but that will need further discussion.

My immediate concern was to establish whether you are proposing anything
that would cut across the basic clause model development.

As far as I can see, there are only two points that might impact:

Conclusions #2, second and 3rd bullet points
The second point says that DTD content models should be declared as ANY. The
third says that everything is OK with XML Schema definitions.
Its an issue to determine how schema languages are to be supported. This may
be a relevant input into that decision.
For the moment, I believe we should complete the clause model proposal
without dealing with these particular requirements. It does not affect
development of the basic concept that is proposed in the Harrop/Meyer
proposal.

Conclusions #3
This seems to require us to use elements from the XHTML namespace. At least
at the structural markup level, I believe this is fundamentally inconsistent
with the clause model requirements. There is no direct equivalence between
proposed clause model elements and many of the XHTML elements you mention.
XHTML does not provide the needed structure for the wide range of intended
uses. That is why we are developing a new clause model.

Am I correct in assuming that there is no reason to not proceed to finalise
the Harrop/Meyer proposal?

Regards
Peter

> For discussion, here's my statement of some requirements for the
> Functional
> Specification. These are now formally proposed for consideration
> by the TC.
> Regards,
> John
>

> 1. Citation Links
> ==============
> Contracts contain citable material, normally, its structural
> elements such as
> Clauses, Tables, List Items, and so on. Citations such as these
> appear either
> internal to a contract, or external to the contract. In both
> circumstances, when
> a hyperlink associated with the citation is activated, one's
> browser "jumps" to
> that location -- this is literally the foundation of the Internet.
>
> HTML <anchor> tags are the common mechanism for linking to
> elements within a
> document, or within another document.  Less common are XML Link
> (XLL) attributes
> that may be placed onto XML elements. In both cases, an "href" attribute
> contains a Universal Resource Identifier (URI) that specifies either an
> identifier on the target element, or a path-to the target element.
>
> A. The HTML Anchor Element
>
> The simplest coding possible for a citation is <a
> href='url#id'>Clause 2.1</a>
> where the "id" specified in the href attribute is the same "id"
> value on the
> element corresponding to Clause 2.1. For instance, if the clause
> is coded as
> <Block id='NonCompetitionClause'> then a link to it would be <a
> href='url#NonCompetitionClause'>Clause 2.1</a>.
>
> At issue with this approach is that the anchor-coder must know
> a-priori the "id"
> of the target. To know this, the anchor-coder must examine the
> internals of the
> target file, find the target element, and then note its id, if
> one is present.
> If the target XML file references an XSL stylesheet (or other
> transformative
> mechanism) then the anchor-author must generate the target
> presentation (if such
> is the intention of the stylesheet) using a tool other than a
> browser, and then
> find the target element in the output, and then note its id, if
> one is present.
>
> This approach appears fraught with difficulties stemming from file
> accessibility, tools support, user technical skills level,
> permissiveness of
> non-unique "id"s in an X/HTML environment, non-traditional validation
> mechanisms, and processing overhead.
>
> B. The XPath Solution
>
> The next simplest coding possible is for a citation that references the
> structural elements within the contract document, that is, one
> that identifies a
> "path" of elements that should be followed to locate the target
> element. For
> [...]
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/legalxml-econtracts/members/lea
ve_workgroup.php.