Subject: Re: [legalxml-econtracts] Semantic Item Reqs

John, coming out of the scenario session you led on your submission, I'd
asked you for some needed clarifications and offered to help.  In order for
requirements to be acceptable under our current course, we have said they
need to be traceable back to a scenario that the TC will agree to support.
In the end the TC may choose not to support every scenario, or every aspect
of any given scenario, that has been initially presented to it.  However,
the current status of your scenario makes it hard for me to figure out what
is "in" and what is "out".  I'd asked some questions like: who are the
parties, what are the transactions they are conducting, what bodies of law
apply to those transactions and what are the use cases you envision.  At the
conclusion of the call for your scenario, you'd agreed to send along some
simple pictures and diagrams that could make the very complex and subtle
submission more grokable.  Speaking for myself, I feel a need for that
clarification on your scenario (and probably a further tightening of some of
the others, before we are done with our requirements process) before I'll
feel comfortable taking the TC to a voting stage on any given requirement.
I can clearly see at this point how a linking potential requirement could be
supported by a number of the scenarios already finalized and before the TC,
and also can see how it could be supported by the synthesized business cases
that Peter Meyer sent to the list (that work was the result of difficult
analysis and collaboration during our face to face in Sydney).  While I see
that, I don't think we'll be in a position to vote on anything (not the
linking and not the proposed requirements below) until Rolly presents the
group with a requirements document that has proposed requirements in it.
Ideally, there will be an opportunity to deal with different and severable
requirements on a vote by vote basis.  But the particulars of that process
are up to Rolly and his excellent judgment.  For now, however, I'd lke to
request:

1. That you finish up the scenario work you'd agreed to (and I continue to
stand ready to lend a hand, if you desire and it would be helpful); and

2. That you stop making specific votable requests at such a granular level
of requirements setting at this point, but instead offer your (by and large,
well thought out and impressive) suggestions to Rolly, via the list (so we
can all learn and enjoy) and let him put it all together for us to deal with
as a comprehensive whole.

Otherwise, I fear that we will waste time and spin wheels.  That I can't
allow.

As for our next meeting, we have an agenda set and I do hope that the result
of the call is a consensus on some direction.  I don't believe that we need
to have final, tailored requirements language word crafted by the Committee
for that to happen.  The back and forth, and the minutes will reflect enough
for Rolly to work with.  If text is needed for clarification or to assure we
are all on the same page, that is fine, but I believe we should keep the
discussion at a fairly high level.

Finally, I also wish to reserve a little time at the end of the meeting to
map out the finalization of the requirements setting process and the
remainder of our structural markup tentative specification process.

Thanks much,
 - Dan Greenwood.