Subject: Draft minutes. Nov 5th conference call

Hi all,

Here is another set of Draft minutes.  As usual, please let me know if
there are any errors or significant omissions. I'll be looking forward
to any comments, and to our meeting on Wednesday, Nov 12.

best,

-Dave

Dave Marvit
Fujitsu Labs of America
Fujitsu

Draft Minutes
eContracts conference call
November 5th, 2003

In attendance:

Dave
Dr. Leff
Rolly
Jason
Dan G.
Zoran

Dan G. Calls the meeting to order

Rolly: I used the OASIS template and Peter's document. I went through
the scenarios and some of the other documents, I tried to keep an eye
on some of the email exchange in th elast few weeks.   I tried to use
the charter as a starting point.

The terminology is mine.. User classes and characteristics Much of this
are just summaries of what was expressed by others.
I put what I cal tghe functional requirements into a section.  I broke
them into general requirements -- which included a section on document
meta-data markup that had been touched upion in a couple of meetings.
I then incorporated the structural markup requirements that J&P had put
forward.  I then took a crack at the semantic requirements.

As best I could I tried to list the scenarios that touched n various
requirements. I may aheve not included soem one, but I tried.

As far as references, I just tried t find as many relevant standards as
I coud. It is not intended to be complete.

My goal was merely to put the ball in play and let my team mates move
it forward.

Dan: Can you take a minute to review some of the requirements. There
were some shoulds and musts that might be interesting to discuss.

Rolly: Yes, some of those migh be subject to change.

There will probably be some disagreement about weather the stanbdard
must be easy for users to learn and use, or should be easy...
Dan: Users was a litltle bit unclear to me.. who is that..?

RC: To me users are authors and developers of software applications.

Dan: You docukent seemed loose enough to imply that it might include
end-users... Joe Schmoew lawayer looking at a web browssre.

Rolly: Yes, that's true.

DanG: I wonder to what extent the end-user will be insulated form that

Dr. L: Peter may be asserting that people will be seeing the XML. Am I
understanding his point of view corredtly.

Jason: This #2 is interesting. Dan said that this implies that it must
be easy for developers to create applications that re easy for
end-users to use. But Peter may say that developers can take care of
themselves. But I hate to speek for peter.

Today you can't completely hide our work from the end-users. Sooner or
later they come head to head with markup. That might be right-clicking
and getting a list of tags to insert.

even if they don't get so  many tags at that point, they will come head
ot head with tags when they try to move some paragraphs around - they
will be confronted with a structural outline.

RC: That makes sense to me, how abot you Dan?

DG: Yup.

Rolly: Rewquirement#5, This is th epoint that Dr. Leff raised -- it
will be important for the semantic and structural markup to mesh well
together.

Dr. Leff: Yes. Many menmbers have suggested that not only do they need
to mesh, but they can go into other things. Someone wants to use our
semantic m,arkup in some other context...

Rolly: Yes Dr. Leff. That's what I understood your point to be. I'm not
sure how well I expressed it.

Jason: That sounds liek a different point to me. You are suggesting
that end-users don't need to know what is going on behind the scened.
Dr. Leff is sayingthat the two markups can be sued seperately.

RC: yes. Perhaps that shold be a seperate reqt. You coiuld use the
eContracts structural Markup and use it with eBL or soe other system...

Dan: Oh, the modularity

RC and if we have soem core elements - some comon business terms, then
it ought to be possible fo rother people to take those and use them as
well.

It seems that different groups (airline, auto industry etc) could have
fairly specialized tags and yet still have use for soem common terms.

Dr. Leff: Right and the concept of the oprdering of events, the notion
of a duration of time and so on.

Jason: I was certainly thinking that the semantic model should be
applical to the econtratc strucltral representation, or XHTML, or
somehting else. I am not as sure about using the clause model for other
things, although that is Peter's entire claim.

Dr. Leff: I think that ther e is a marketplace for structural markup
for a variety of things. Something ike what peter meyersis proposing
woudl be good to stick in the JDDS...

Jason: Yes, and that's fine, but I'm not sure how much we shoud go on
about this given our mission.

DG: Persona;lly I like th eidea that, assuming we have a breakdown of
STRUCTURAl and non s -- and perhaps an envelope, I like the idea of
saying that you can use any part of it.

[envelope discussion]
it may certaibnly come inn hand at some point. If we talk to pointers
to a contrct that are not your contract - not yours to put markup in,
but people might enjoy commentingh on. There are systems that have
links to licences. I am saying that I liek th eidea of having an
envelope for things that we can't yet perdict.

DL: The idea of keeping track of offer and accetance, those kinds of
ideas, migh tbe a natural for an envelope.

DM: use of envelope for partial offers (in out ANS)

Dr. Leff: That has played out in other cases such as with the insurance
oon the WTC.
Libraries of clauses-- lexus nexus wants to see how certain clauses
show up in court decisions.

DG: So was there concensus on weather the various parts should be
modular (miux and match able) .. is that what you asked rolly?

RC: yes.

DG:

Jason: Modularity is a shorthand for statements such as: The XML
semantic markup should be able to be applied to a wide range of
different contrcatual representations, or 3rd party XML dialects should
be able to be related

RC: How about the subject of the document meta-data? That's not a
subject that has come up much or gotten much discussion. Both Jason and
John McClure touched on the subject in their scenarios...

Jason; I am not clear oin the distinction between metadata nd semantic
markup.

RC; Metadata os kind of a slipery concept. What I thinkof as document
metadata is the kind of stuff that might be collected and used by a
docuemnt mahanegemnt system. I go to the dublin core metadata
management system. hwat I am suggesting is that that kind of metadata -
metadata about the document- ought to be collected. The contract and
buisiess terms (price, date) are distinct.

Jason; One of the questions about the ducument metadatya is weather you
do it at the docuyemnt level, or at the clause level.  Do you want to
be able to say that the IP clause was writtenn by so and so on dex
11th...
Rolly: what I have put forward is at the docuemnt level, but I fully
agree that it could be done at either or both.  I have no position or
preference.

Jason: Do we wnat ot put a stake in the ground, or should we note that
it is an issue fo rht eTC to discuss.

Zoran: I think it is a prety generoic concept. I think it'd be useful.

DG: Whats's the traceability to the scenarios?

RC: John McClure had the idea of using the dublin core at the document
level.

Jason: We need to decide if we want to include.

DM: Right, so what is the down-side of including it.  Is it just
feature-creap?

DG: Right.  That's why I was lookking for traceabuility. When I look at
it this seems like the kind of thing we want o get out of the envelope.

Jason: Equally, I think that a document management system will handle
anyway.   It may be that we can specifty what it looks liek so that
when people make their databases they can use it. It kind of comes down
to the issue of is the reuse mechanism part of this system or not.

Dr. Leff I think you are right about the C managemwent systems, but
what about findlaw where they throw out contracts for people towrite up
their own.

maybe we should put that in the parking lot. There are other examples,
such as the exception processing.

DG: Since it soulnds liek there aren't any strong opinions, then is it
OK if we move on...?

RC Sure

Dr. Leff: Right. I was syaing that we might ewant to consider
eexceptioon processing. I don't think this is a version 1 issue, but I
think we may want to provide that at soe point.  That is discussed in
my proposal on the resources poafe.

Jason: Is ot true that w\hat you just said requiress a mechanism or
model for modeling events?

Dr. Leff: Soenmone might say that for these 5 clauses, they must be
interpreted strictly, like saying that these 5 dates are of the
essence, or these things that I am saying I want in the building are
essential.  I won't pay unless these are there.

Jason:  All of that stuff opperates on the legal level which is
different form what I think of as exception handling.

Dr. Leff: Right. But we may want  to combine clauses by saying that
theese clauses survive termination.

RC; I do agree with jason that sonme of the points being raised seem to
be on th elegal level. I get humng up wondering who will tell the
software, or how will it be told, that one of these events has taken
place.   Force majeur events are events and they may excuse some or all
of the contrcat

[discussion of representing events]

DG: I was wondering when we would come to this and I am glad that we
have come to it now. For us, we have to decide if it is in scope.  It
was certainly in scope to have it come upp as a scenario becaus eit is
kind of an obvious thing to come up. One question is when do we think
it will hit the market.

Z, your work assumes that checking for thse kind s

While this seems kind of exciting, and it seems liek it is kind of the
point, I am sketical that the market is ready for that level of
automation.

Dr L: In the work that I have done, including the interoperability
paper, i assume that these are seperate standards.  This stuff is going
to be somewhere else.  Whe may want to have some discussions about how
to comnnect to this something else...

Z: This discussion  - we need to address seperation of structural
issues from semantic markup. It can be simple thing slike price, date
etc.. We can treat them seperately and link them to structure.
We can have an executable representation of obligtions and events.

I think that we should concentrate on the structural markup, then work
on the simple semanticv (non-structural ) and work on linking the
levels. Then, when we have a more advanced semantic structureal level
we can work on linking

we need to start with the simple things

We can treat some concepts tat have already been raised as a simple
semantic markup.

I am just proposing a way to deal with structural and semantic markup
seperation and then deal with the semantic markup. There are various
ways you can treat the relationship and seperation between

seperation nis important for evolvability.

DG: I am hearing some conservatism..

Z: It was not meant to be conservatism, but realism -- so that we can
start with structural and then simpler semantic markup -- only then can
we move on to more complex stuff.

DG: Sorry, I maent cautious and stepwise.

Dr L: Well, that's how programming languages developed. Fortran is a
good example. That's the peoposal we have here. Put some basics into
the standard and then t will be extended buy the research and business
community and those thing s will be standardized when the time is ripe.

Z: Exactly. I'd liek to split the standard up into a few areas.

I can look at teh seperate bunch of expressions that are sitting in my
semantic markup part and see if some part has been violated. the nI can
have traceability

RC; If anyone wants to send along suggestions or revisions, either on
the list or in email, that'd be a way to work on the next evolution.

DG: When do you think we could have it itterated to the point where it
is votable by the group?

RC: From my perspective it woudl be when the group feels that it has
had time to review and modify the document as appropriate. It is more
dependant upoin the timetable of the group than my time table.

DL: I feel very comfortable witht he doc as it is. But it is important
enough that we should give it some time.

DG: Next meeting is goiung to be P&J. I assuem that we will move back
to the requirements doc the following week. The I'd like to be able to
vote on it around that time.

Jason: I think we should consider what needs to be in it before we say
it is complete and ready to go.  I'd say it needs to be tight enough in
p[laces to constarin what the solution is going to be.  There is stuff
in here ethta we would undertsand becaus ewe have been in the TC.,
Rigght now there are not enough stakes in the ground to justify the
solutions we chose.

If you look at #8, the solution designers have a lot of work to do to
impliment a solution (date or time duration). Much of what ios bnneeded
to understand this well is in Zoran's published papers. but leaving it
to the sol,u

I thinkn about the semantic requirements: it is still left entirely
open weather ot not our solution adresses items 1-12 all, or if it
adresses the need for arbitrary semantics and by being able to address
those we also happen to be able to tick those off.

DG: I think you have provided some metrics for us to meet before we get
to a releasable document.

[Jason will send his more detailed suggestions to Rolly and potentially
add them in]

DG: one area where we need more discussion is on the extent of the

Dr. Leff; There is also th eparametrcic