Subject: Re: XHTML 2.0

Hi John

What i'd suggest is that you allow the TC to decide over the next 2-3 weeks
whether it prefers a simple/typographical para model or a grammatical para model.

Then, if you want to put something based on the XHTML 2.0 draft on the table as
an alternative to whichever of those two we're favouring, by all means do so.

To be able to properly evaluate XHTML 2.0, which prudence and good sense
suggests we would *have* to do to before we commit to walking down that road,
there are five things which spring to mind:

A.  When will it be ready?  How final is it?  Maybe Dan or Dave can get some
visibility on this from the non-public W3C mailing lists. This goes to your claim 3.

B.  What does the subset you are proposing actually look like?  What elements
are in it?  ie what is the concrete proposal, expressed as a schema (W3c, relax
or dtd)

C.  How does it compare to our other candidate for a range of authoring and
other tasks, which we can list and then answer.  ie we need to be comfortable
that your claim one - that it is adequate - is fair.

D.  Looking down the rest of the structural path from basic clause model ->
fleshed out clause model -> complete contract, where is the effort involved? ie
how much time will XHTML 2.0 actually save us?  i think a significant part of
the remaining effort will be common to both XHTML and custom models, since it
lies in signature blocks etc, and not so much in the fleshing out part eg span,
metadata, table model, images.

E.  Will XHTML 2.0 be the market behemoth several of us are assuming?  Will it
sweep all before it, so that no other XML grammars are used for document
authoring anymore?  If so, why didn't XHTML 1.0 have the same effect.

Much as I'm interested in moving on to the non-structural stuff, we need to be
able to mark up structure before we can sensibly talk about the other stuff ie
you've got to walk before you can run.

Two final points - (i) how long this all takes is dependent in large measure on
having a suitable process. (ii) And if people don't want to discuss the clause
model in our regular teleconf, we could schedule a separate one (perhaps for a
sub-committee) and do it there. Frankly, there shouldn't need to be a 'long
series of calls' though. And as Dave observed, some of the complexity we are
dealing with can be seen as belonging to structure, or some other level. So
bifurcating will probably make things like metadata harder to handle.

cheers,

Jason