Subject: Re: FW: [legalxml-econtracts] grammatical paras necessary for "linkingand retrieval mechanisms"?

John McClure wrote:
> Hi Jason,
> Sorry that my explanations weren't clear.

(snip)

> Because a grammatical paragraph exists conceptually then software needs to be
> able to reference it

It doesn't follow from the mere fact that it exists conceptually that it
needs to be marked up.  For example, nobody has suggested so far that we
mark up sentences, even though they to exist conceptually.

The only reason to mark something up is if the markup will be used, and
the cost of doing the markup does not exceed the benefits.

> for libraries (e.g., as the subject of reuse)

Example, please.  I'm embarking on an analysis of the Hanover Lease but
i won't have a chance to report back until after Thanksgiving.  So, if
you have any examples of how grammatical para is useful, i'd love to see
them.

, for display
> (e.g., as the subject of widow processing, cursoring control, and text selection
> highlighting), and for metadata (as the subject of RDF statements). Like any
> other identifiable "thing" in a contract, they need to be accessed using an <a>
> anchor tag.

Why isn't it enough to be able to refer to its enclosing item?  (Example
please)

:

> With regard to samples, that which you provided in the Appendix is good enough.

No, its not a contract.  I'd like to see a grammatical para in a
contract which you'd like to re-use, so i can understand why item re-use
  is insufficient (coupled with simple para re-use if nece).

> With regard to the lack of guarantee that a grammatical paragraph fully
> encapsulates its content, well, I am interested in a standard that works, when
> used correctly. When used incorrectly, well, that's their problem not mine. With
> regard to who would (ever) want to link to a specific item of trailing content,
> well, on the whole I agree with you that the argument of linking to trailing
> content is not too compelling to me either.

okay, i'm glad we agree on that important point.

With regard to "poking at and
> talking about" further examples, for me, well, I am at the end of my
> participation in such exercise -- I know enough for my purposes to move on.

i must say i would find your views more compelling if you were to show
how they apply to sample contracts and/or are supported by examples from
contracts.  at the end of the day, its how our ideas apply to contracts
which counts.

> I think it's a good thing for everyone in the galaxy that XHTML 2.0 introduces
> the <section> element and redefines the <p> element from a simple paragraph to a
> grammatical paragraph,

for the record, i still don't see why its a "good thing".  it might be,
but its certainly not clear. it has some advantages, but the costs are
considerable in terms of ease of authoring.  the jury is still out on this.

cheers,

Jason

and we should build on it as a very compelling base for
> further standardization and easy, international, acceptance of our work. I hope
> we can vote about this soon.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Jason Harrop
CTO, SPEEDLEGAL
jharrop@speedlegal.com

Melbourne
Mob +61 (0)402 02 66 34
Tel +61 (0)3 9670 0141
Fax +61 (0)3 9670 0142
www.speedlegal.com

SmartPrecedent(R) software
The most intelligent way to create documents