Subject: RE: [legalxml-econtracts] The case for Authoring

Very interesting, thank you Rolly. They all sound pretty primitive to me,
particularly if there is no pseudonym capability for element names, attribute
names, or attribute values that are displayed in the windows or menus you
described..... in fact it will be very interesting to find out how they evolve
to handle XML namespaces, that is, how they will handle the complete XML Schema
specification, not just part of it, in a naive-user-friendly manner. I cannot
believe that psuedonym capabilities won't be introduced at that time.

Anyway let me see if I understand this correctly.

1. You work 95% of the time in markup mode -- let's call this "codes".
2. Jason says that attorneys don't know/don't want to see the "codes". I agree.
3. Therefore these tools don't seem typical to the "user" Jason talks about.

So my question still remains: who is going to read and use our spec, an attorney
who hates "codes", or a programmer fielding an application for the attorney to
use? Who is going to produce the XML markup -- the attorney who hates "codes",
or the programmer, within the application software she's writing?

My argument remains -- while authoring is an important and chartered scope for
us, I think the percentage of the ultimate attorney user base that will be
entering markup directly is VERY LOW. Which means that the benefit of the doubt
during design decisions should tilt towards the needs of programmers, not those
of the atypical end-user attorney who loves entering "codes" in a raw, seemingly
unproductive, environment.

Thanks,
John

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/legalxml-econtracts/members/leave_w