Subject: Namespaces -- how many?

Zoran,
This moment my report recommends two namespaces - <legal:> and <layout:>. So
this is a good opportunity to create legal namespaces more in tune with your
thinking. To me, it does seem that the 10 types of legal instrument suggested in
the report  -- agreement, declaration, demand, etc. -- could each have a
namespace primarily to easily define context-sensitive terms,. For instance,
"instrument:Date" would be the reference date for the instrument; an
"agreement:Date" would be the date of the complete execution of an agreement;
and a contract:Date is the date of the formation of a contractual relationship
(which may be _extended_ by subsequent agreements) between the parties.

The alternative and conventional technique -- create one large namespace that
corresponds to the organization defining the namespace, and then throw
everything into it -- ultimately may be short-sighted as greater complexity is
included within its scope over time. This path can lead to pretty clumsy
@property names.

I'm now comfortable with the 3-part structure (legal:recitals, legal:body, and
legal:signature) designated for a <legal:instrument>. Within the language of the
contract, a string that represents the contract date (such as defined above) can
be placed in an element whose @property attribute has the value
"contract:Date" -- of course, only if so agreed by the parties to the contract.
[This is how I see the parties marking up their agreed-upon semantics about the
agreement -- as @property attribute values. External parties, or parties not in
agreement, would of course markup their own semantics about an agreement in a
file separate from the agreement. ]

But I'm definitely not comfortable with the property names now defined for use
within the <legal:signature> element. For instance, I settled upon
legal:Signer1Name, but I was REALLY more interested in "signer:FirstPartyName"
but had some doubts whether this approach would be acceptable to TC members.
Maybe I was wrong on this? My first draft had signer:SignatureLine, signer:Name,
signer:Date, signer:Location, signer:Title, and signer:Role, with
signer:FirstPartyXXX, signer:SecondPartyXXX, and signer:ThirdPartyXXX names
defined for each one.

I had a similar result with references. I started out with "ref:Section" for
instance, but ended up with "legal:SectionReference" because I didn't know
whether multiple namespaces would be acceptable to TC members who are resistant
to XML namespaces in general, or to members resistant to communicating semantics
in the prefix for a namespace, which a purist would say is a "should not"
intention of the XML Namespaces specification. Oh well.

BTW, the XHTML 2.0 spec has a new element called <separator/> that is used
instead of the old <hr/> (horizontal rule) element, but now with a twist -- by
using the @property attribute, it can be defined as a "page break" which can be
inserted anywhere within the text of the instrument. An EMPTY element such as
this is the markup technique used by the Transcripts TC for their documents.

Thanks for the helpful thoughts -- they'll work into the next draft.
John