Subject: August 11, 2004 Draft minutes

Folks,

Here are the draft minutes for the Aug 11th conference call.

_Dave
---------------------------------------
LegalXML eContracts Draft minutes
August 11, 2004 conference call

In attendance:
Zoran Milosevic
Dr. Leff
Rolly Chambers
Dave Marvit
Dr. Colyen Sue from the W3C (As a guest of Zoran's)
Peter Meyer
Dan Greenwood
John McClure
Jason Harrop

Zoran: Colyen is a DSTC staffer and our W3C rep. As you know, DSTC is
the Australian W3C representative. I thought he might have some useful
insights and invited him to join us today.

Dan: Great. Do you need any BG info, or are you OK?

Colyn: I'm OK, thanks.

Dan: Good. Where we left off, people were going to distil down their
use cases into the template that Peter has prepared. Is it fair to say
that we are looking for people to provide feedback on the template?
Peter?

Peter: Yes, I submitted a draft and a slightly overly long use case. We
do need feedback on the template, and feedback from anyone who has time
to read the use case as well.

Dan: I think that's a good first agenda item, to put that template to
rest. Then to set a deadline for those who want their use cases to be
included in the  face-to-face.

Zoran: I was hoping that we could address the structural issues because
we have Colyn here. He needs to leave in 30-35 mins.

Dan: Good

Structural..., there are some open issues. There is a report and a
minority report in the offing. Some of those open issues blur into the
scope of the requirements and spec itself.

Would one of you be willing to frame the issues for our guest...?

John McClure: I'm not sure exactly what topic it would be best to have
our guest focus on...

Dan: Well, please give us a quick walk through of the issues and that
will form the basis of the discussion. Then if we can try to make this
actionable at the face-to-face...?

Jason: Can I give a brief intro?

Dan: Please

Jason: We went to the New-Orleans face-to-face with what we thought was
a reasonable clear appearance for everything, clauses and lower down.
We were going to use 'section' - the same element that occurs in
XHTML2. We were all clear on that. We also had a discussion abut the
high level structure.

In New Orleans there was a high-level container model of the structure.
We all understood all of that  (parties and so on). We were calling it
'struct', just for the purposes of having something to talk about. We
thought we could put an attribute on top of that.

We thought we needed to finalize the attributes and address some other
things like signatures.

In New Orleans when I went to mark up the date and the parties I
realized that there were three ways I could mark them up. I picked one
- use a 'P' for paragraph and have each of the parties inside it.

Peter chose to mark it up with a bunch of 'P's and John chose a single
P with a bunch of line breaks.

We decided that we needed a way to make it simpler for people to make
up the date and parties and background. We need to make it easy for
people to do this in a single way. Peter and I thought we needed a way
to do this in an unambiguous way. This is where the subcommittee ran
into difficulties - having differences of opinion that the subcommittee
couldn't compromise.

The preliminary report was designed to have elements that a lawyer in
the US or Australia can understand. The background element for a
background or recital, operative element for operative clauses etc.

In any case, our approach was to use elements that mapped closely to
real world elements. John's approach was slightly different.

I should probably pass the floor to John here.

John: Basically I wrote the minority report for a number of reasons. I
thought that for the TC as a whole it needed to be in a less 'working
notes' format -- something that we ought to be able to publish. I did
it using the markup that I am proposing we use.

The markup uses the original understanding of using XHTML2 and adapts
it to our requirements as we understood them and sticks to at least the
spirit of XHTML2 as the implementing name space.

The section element was an easy one.  I incorporated three of the
elements with different elements suggested by Rolly that Jason agreed
to. There is some consensus on having recital, preamble, or recital,
body, and signature.  This is a legal signature.

In XHTML2 we have to precede each element with a prefix. I'd like
"legal:"

I felt this is appropriate. Rolly and Jason seem to agree. The
discussion seems to be about elements called extra or extras for the
divisions of the document. If one looks at the XHTML2 definition of the
DIV element, it says  that DIV is used for those extra elements outside
of the ... the notion is the idea ... inside of an 'extras' element
would be one or more extras (as proposed by Jason et al). But DIV is
designed to be recursive.

So, the DIV element seems to be a more natural candidate because it
matches the intention that formed our subcommittee in the first place.

This comes from a document that was sent to the subcommittee that
contained 12 points. This is the high level. Using DIV to represent the
high level -- it just seems that the first easy issue that we could
dispose of is if the TC feels we should be establishing 'extra' and
'extras' elements instead of DIV. To date, neither Jason or Peter have
established the use of a DIV element.

Jason: If I could respond quickly - I think that if we focus on the
preliminary report... the issues we have discussed since we released
that, there are 3 issues.
First, the extras element or DIV. Second is, of course, the date area
and the PARTIES element we proposed for Anglo-Australian contracts. I
think we need to justify why those are there. The third is the
namespace issue. Our report didn't focus on that but people have since
proposed that all of our elements should be in the legal namespace.

We are going to use a model ..

John: What exactly is that question? We only have time for one issue...

Peter: We can't separate them out like that. It is misleading.

John: What is the actionable question?

Peter: I don't think John has fully stated all of the issues. We want
the part of the contract that has the dates and the parties to be
considered for Anglo-Australian contracts. The namespace is the other
part. This bears on our level of conformity to XHTML2. It is not a
given that we have to use DIV. It is massively over used and abused.

If we add those to the list then we have a range of issues. Ultimately
it gets back to requirements.

Dan: Great. Thanks. I think we can do the logistics part in about 15
mins which would leave us about 10 or 15 to discuss these issues.  Can
I toss it open to the group for feedback.

Rolly: I provided some feedback offline. Everyone has been flexible
about element names. I don't think that will be a make or break issue
for anybody.

The question of whether there are traditions in the US and different
ones in the Anglo-Australian cultures I don't really see. I think that
the priority is to be consistent. The US tradition for the contracts
that I have seen would include date and party names in the opening. I
think that the proposal that has been submitted could satisfy people in
either tradition. I don't think that there is an issue that needs to be
addressed beyond making a guess.

Jason: You are saying that 'P' is OK for North American contracts?

Rolly: If we chose to do that. I am also saying that date and party
area is also OK for US contracts. Rather that offer a choice I'd like
us to pick one or the other.

Jason: The 'P' element is clearly the best way to represent US
contracts. I just picked one up off of the floor and it has a bunch of
stuff in that first paragraph that is not parties and date.  If you
tried to use the Anglo Australian.. you could say that the first line
is the date stuff and the next couple of lines is the party stuff. But
where does the rest fit in?

In Anglo-Australian contracts the date area and the parties model is a
far superior model. You end up where you can fit the Anglo contracts in
to the American P or the reverse, but it is an uncomfortable fit. In
the face of that uncomfortable fit why don't we have the elements that
fit both, naturally?

John: A lot of this goes back to the issues that we are trying to deal
with professionally and intellectually. If we use the XHTML2 approach,
they use a property name and an element. That said, the scenario that
Jason and Peter are professionally very much involved with -- that
works best if there is an element name that is date/time (line) that is
a container for some set of text strings.

I think that, if we are talking about jurisdictional differences, there
is no reason that we can't craft our elements and our schema that can
be build upon jurisdictional versions. Then we'd have an element called
date/time that would operate the way we want it to operate. By adopting
the XHTML2 architecture, it does not preclude us adopting a namespace
that includes jurisdictional elements.

Jason: These elements we have proposed, date area and parties - it is
my claim that these are no more semantic that other (...) elements.
They are structural. Contention #1 is that they are structural elements
pure and simple.
Contention number2 is that the element name is far superior for my
scenarios and Peter's to a class attribute. The reason that they are
far superior is that it is not possible to contextually constrain the
value of the class attribute. If you say that we have 50 different
possible values for the class elements, then you want the user to pick
from a drop down, it is not possible to have the user chose from the
ones that might be contextually relevant. So, the element approach is
much better.

John: But what is your reaction to the approach that I have described -
having jurisdictional elements?

Jason: Not needed.

John: You could build ..

Jason: I agree that we could have an extension mechanism that could
handle all kinds of things...

John: I am not talking about an extension mechanism [like court
filing?] What is wrong with the extension mechanism that is included
inn the languages themselves?

Jason: The elements should not be relegated to some extensions.

John: Why?

Jason: Because these elements should not be relegated to being second
class citizens.

John: But standards are all about building upon pre-existing work...

Dan: Ok Guys.

John: I would like a vote-able proposition put on the agenda...

Dan: I don't think we are ready to vote on anything today.

John: I am not saying today. It is not on the agenda. But I don't want
to have another discussion that is not going on anywhere.

Dan: My suggestion was to get feedback form the group. I was hoping
that we could use the F2F as a deadline of sorts to refine the
requirements and to nail down the structural. The intent of airing the
issues today is to air the issues.

Jason: Should the next step be for me and John to shut up?

Dan: Yes, but I want to have 2 minutes of discussion so we will know
where we will be on the use cases. I think all we need is a deadline to
have the use cases submitted so that we will have them ready for
discussion at the meeting.

Dan: I  personally reviewed [Peter's framework]. I thought it was a
little long, but I can get my scenarios into that form. When would we
need to get them into that form.

Peter: We'd like 2 weeks to review them, so by the 25th.

Dan: [Discussion] How abut Sep 1 as a deadline for people to submit the
use cases we will consider.

[consensus]

[travel and logistics discussion]

Dr: Leff: There are a couple of things we can do. For paragraphs, DIVs
etc., we can do what other groups have done. The LegalXML namespace
can inherit from the XHTML2

I think it is critical that we can pull out party name and address from
the contract. We can do that by adding an element (address or
something) or you can have a reference element and then have references
to that from within the paragraph. Then you have everything pointing
back.

Zoran: I personally like this approach a lot -- with the references.

Dr. Leff: Yes, the text looks like text for the lawyers. The 'actor'
element of court filing 1.1 (?) is a good example.

Jason: Do you agree that what you are talking about is structural?

Dr. Leff: Yes, but we have to be sure we can pull out the semantic data.

Peter: What Dr. Leff says is fine. One of those options should
seriously be considered, but that is not structural markup. What we
have put forward does not preclude any of that.

Dr. Leff: Someone reading the docs might think that it is precluded.

Peter: We haven't written the report on the recommendation because it
hasn't been agreed to yet. I agree with you, but it is out of scope.

Rolly: That position really does point to what we mean by structural.
All of these terms -- background, parties and so on, all have a
semantic component. I wouldn't get too hung up on the distinction.

Peter: There is obviously an overlap between semantic and structural.
When you talk about date and parties you obviously have a foot in each
camp. But the goal is to do what we can on the structural.

Rolly: If you tell me as a US contract author to use a P tag and I want
to have the info marked up , then if I want to extract the info
(address...) then I'm going to be frustrated.

Peter: You will have additional semantic tags marking it up.

Dan: Speaking as a member [and not as a chair] the reason we decided to
start with structure is because we though it was content neutral. In
the end, if parties fits into structural... I am doubtful... I wouldn't
be inclined to consider it to be structural.

Jason: What tag would you use?

Dan: I would use 2. If there was a structural DTD I'd use that to get
it where I wanted and get the font and appearance. Then I'd use a
semantic tag to indicate that it was a party.

Jason: That's what we are doing

Dan: Why is that structural?

Jason: Because the parties part is structural. You would have the
inside marked up with semantic tag.

Roly: Why don't we just stick date area and parties into an area and
call it an intro?

Dan: Or something with even less semantic value, like header?

Jason: Because you use multiple paragraphs. You wouldn't want headings
inside the date area and the...

Dan: I have done perfectly good contracts with HTML, with bold and
paragraphs and so on.

Peter: But we don't want to address and constrain the formatting. We
are trying to stay away from the markup. You are trying to...

Dan: But I still come back to the content neutral nature of it.

Peter: It seems that people think that because we are proposing areas
called address and parties people think we are precluding semantic tags.

Dan: It seems to me that it is well into the semantic camp.

Peter: As Jason has been trying to explain, these parts of the document
are significant. They are significant in terms of giving end-users the
options as to what to put in, and it is important as to rendering it.

Dr. Leff: And we need to be able to take whatever information - use the
software to pull out the names and pump it into the database.

Peter: I agree.

Dr. Leff: The it may be just a presentation issue, buy which I mean
presenting the proposal.

Dan: I am hoping that this becomes a distinction without a difference.
Whether it is classified as more semantic or more structural is
ultimately not important. The requirements should help us.

Peter: You are right. Our approach has been to get what we need
structurally. We need these containers.

Rolly; You need 2 'L' containers.

Peter; No, we need named containers. L containers are used throughout
the doc.

Dan: "L"?

Rolly: It stands for 'line'. What I am hearing structurally is that the
guys need 2 lines. They would rather call them date areas and parties.

Jason: We would actually need a paragraph with about 6 or 8 L elements
in them and some would have to represent what in other parts of the
documents would be headings. It is unnatural to use it in a way where
you would be using ...

Dr. Leff: Couldn't we have a date area inheriting form a P element?

Peter: I don't see the point of that.

Jason: When you use that you end up with at least 3 different ways of
using it.

Dr. Leff: Could you have a schema restriction?

Jason: We did solve it clearly with the solution we proposed.

Dan: We are at logical stopping point since we seem to be back where we
started.

Peter: I think there are different perceptions of what we are trying to
do, and of the importance of XHTML2.

Dan: Are you saying nail use cases and requirements as a precursor?

Peter: I would say that somewhat reluctantly.

John: I think it would be a good idea to have another discussion as Dan
is suggesting. I would prefer if those discussions had a vote-able
question that was the topic of that discussion and that we endeavor to
vote on the topic. I am trying to be results oriented. The results of
that vote will define the spirit and intent.

Dan: And the question of timing? Do you think we will be in a better
position to make those decisions when the use cases have been developed?

John: I don't think so. Because this is about XHTML2 and that's not
going to happen.

Dan: Jason?

Jason: I don't think another discussion 'OK, your hour is up' is going
to help. I think John's suggestion is a good one, but I think Peter's
idea about understanding XHTML2 and out relationship to it, that would
be a very useful starting point for making decisions about date areas
and parties and extras and name space issues. I'd suggest having a
discussion about X2 and then return to the discussion.

Dan: The TC has decided to use XHTML2 to the extent practicable. And
the W3C has a new version out that the TC hasn't looked at.

Jason: We all agree that we are basing  this on XHTML2. but how closely
do we need to follow it? Even in the areas that we have agreed on we do
need to look at this.

Peter: I agree

John: I think a good question to put on the agenda is to question our
previous commitment to XHTML2.

Dan: I think it is something that the committee should do to be
diligent. Can we get a walkthrough of the new version of XHTML2 and
track it to the structural

Peter: The issue is how much do we care abot XHTML2?  That's the issue.

Dan: Any objection to having that discussion?

[none]

Zoran: It would be good to have the next week, if John has time.

Dan: Are people OK with the 17th?

John: Are people still interested in having a RDF subcommittee?
Establishing a separate subcommittee to develop the data-model defining
the semantics of the standard.

Peter: I think this is jumping the gun to do that in advance of the
requirements. We did that once with the structural.

Zoran: I agree. Let's not worry about standards yet. We need the
requirements.

John: I want it [requirements] named in terms of the technology. Its
job would be to make a technology recommendation.

Dr. Leff: We have a resources subcommittee. It has been on the web site
for some time. It includes technological and non-technological
resources. We need to find out what the options are. The choice may
well be aesthetic.

Peter: Or maybe we don't make a choice at all. But at this point you
don't know what we are trying to achieve.

Zoran: We need to put all of our resources towards finishing a
requirements doc.

Dan: John, I think what you are saying makes a hell of a lot of sense.
But I would be loath to be on that committee before the use cases have
been sorted out. It should write itself once the use cases are
resolved. I'd suggest that we adhere to what you are saying. Perhaps
after the use cases but before the F2F?

Peter: I think there is going to be some priorities being worked out at
the F2F.

Dan: It seems that the time to discuss what we have harvested would be
.. we have time for 2 meetings between the sep 1 deadline and our face
to face. That would be a good time to start a free fire zone on the use
cases. At least we wil know the landscape of use cases before the F2F.
It would be a ripe time to have that discussion.

Peter: My apologies. I thought you were proposing the formation of a
subcommittee before that time.

Rolly: Let me say that although I have some differences of view from
Jason and Peter, they are not major. There is a lot there that shows a
lot of good judgment on the part of the entire SC. John as well.

Zoran: I agree. I also want everyone to know that I am learning a lot
from the discussion. I find this discussion really useful.

John: Well, it takes a lot of effort to be speaking from an informed
position. That's why I would urge us to authorize us to form a
subcommittee to deal with semantics. It takes a while to organize the
processes and the information. We all have a basic set of 20 semantic
items that we know we should be.. .We need to say ... The structural is
there and there is a big hole and we all know it. I am surprised that
people aren't more anxious to get going on it.

Dan: Do others want to form a committee now?

Rolly: I'd rather finish what we are chewing on.

Dan: Anyone want to start on this now? Dr. Leff, Zoran...?

Dan: Nobody wants to work on this now, but there are at least 3 of us
who want to work on this once we are ready -- probably when the use
cases are ready.

John; I certainly don't mind of the TC decides that a subcommittee
should be formed and wants to have a call for members. But I don't want
people to say 'great' and then nothing happens.

Dan: It is part of our charter. And people are willing to put in some
effort....

John: I want to recommend a subcommittee approach.

Dan: OK.  Do people want a meeting next week to discuss XHTML next week?

[group yes]

Dr. Leff: There will be one agenda item, XHTML2 and what role does it
play?

Dan: We will see how it goes and schedule form there.

Zoran: for the sake of efficiency at the next meeting, could you send
us some bullets. If you have time that would help us be mentally
prepared.

Dan: Anything else before adjourning?

[none]

Meeting adjourned.