Subject: RE: [legalxml-econtracts] Agenda OASIS Legal XML Member Section Electronic Contracts Technical Committee Meeting from Secretary (File id: @@2440)

As a preparation for todays' conference I would like to add possible
classification that I think captures different kind of languages we have
been using so far. This is included below.

Human Contract Language (HCL) - for expressing contract in human readable
language. This is typically domain of current use of Word processors.

Computer Contract Language (CCL) - for expressing contract in machine
interpretable language [note this is more specific than machine readable].

There are various uses of CCL and their expressiveness reflects various
levels of semantics complexity needed to be expressed for various computer
applications. They include (increasing complexity):
*	Concepts for describing structural aspects, such as clause,
paragraph, signatures block and their hierarchical relationships - typically
used by applications developed for contract authoring [I believe this aspect
of CCL is what Peter refers to as narrative language]
*	Concepts for describing contract variables such as party, date,
price, name,  address and so on; typically these variables need to conform
to the corresponding types; these concepts will be used by contract
authoring applications to store them in various DBs for the subsequent use
in different management applications or directly by contract management
appliactions [this is what Peters refers to as embedded values];
*	Concepts for describing obligations, permissions, prohibitions and
their relationships. These will typically be used for generating
notifications, checking contract compliance and used as a basis for possible
dispute resolutions

Contract document can be expressed in a Human Contract Language (HCL), in a
Computer Contract Language (CCL) or using some combination of both.

I also feel we need to add Contract template concept. This is a partially
created contract document. It needs to be completed with the remaining
parameters to produce a contract instance that can be signed (or assented).
Contract template is typically written in CCL.